• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Thoughts on service dogs?

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:34 PM
  • 3 Replies

We're considering a service dog for our son (5 yo). He has a habit of escaping the house and we're worried about him wandering off. I found a local group that trains specifically for ASD and the dogs are also trained in search and rescue. (We also think it would be good for his behavior and overall well being, but the wandering off terrifies me)

Has anyone adopted a service dog?

Tips on going through the process?

Fundraising tips?

Difficulties in adjusting your child to his/her dog?

Were you able to convince the school to allow the dog in class?

Things you wish you knew before starting the process?

TIA...

Erin

by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
kajira
by Emma on Apr. 3, 2013 at 1:25 PM
1 mom liked this

First - I think that taking just any service dog is not always the best option, your best bet is to be involved in the training process so the child is used to the dog and the dog and child have a chance to bond BEFORE the dog is working for you full time. If this agency doesn't agree to that, keep looking.

Second, you can train your own service dog in your home - even if you outsource and get help with the training. That can greatly reduce your costs too.

Fundraising can be as easy or as hard a you make it out to be, depending on how you go about it.... church bake sales, garage sales, autism awareness parties where you ask for donations, putting adds in the paper, etc. There's all sorts of ways you could fundraise.... It just depends on how much money you need, and how you want to go about it. 

Adjustments would be more likely to happen if you were involved from day 1 with the dog giving the child/dog a lot of time to bond before it lives with you fulltime if you choose to go through an agency. 

If it's a trained service dog and the dog doesn't bark or cause *any* problems in behavior, the school *has* to let the dog be there - the issue is you may need to require an aid, or be there yourself to help manage the dog. It's not up to the school to be responsible for the dog.... so either your child has to be functional enough to control the dog, or someone has to help until your child is older.

I took my service dog to college with me, they couldn't deny us access, and when my dog was "in training" I just talked to them and they had zero issues with me bringing my dog to school provided he didn't cause any problems behaviorally, or have accidents... (and he didn't, so it was never an issue.)

The issue you may have with a dog at school for a young child is it may be a distraction to the other children and may piss off the teacher and the kids may not understand why they can't play or touch the dog.

amonkeymom
by Amy on Apr. 3, 2013 at 1:30 PM

We don't have one, but I think it's a great idea!

LivinDeadGurl
by Bronze Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:45 AM

I think it is a great idea.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)