Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

my son Marcus's behaviors

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:37 PM
  • 4 Replies
Marcus was diagnosed with PDD when he was 3 3/4yrs. he is now 10yrs he gets upset over the littlest things as small as his brother looking at him wrong so then he will have a huge meltdown he will hit, kick, bite, even throw anything he can get his hands on. I have taken favorite toys away, and put him into time out in which nothing works he's even gotten to the point of hitting me as well. So please dose anyone have any suggestions on what I should do? Marcus also had some testing done and mentaly he is at a 4-5yrs old in school he is a 4th grader but is doing 2nd-3rd grade level work. I am completely lost in how to help him :-(.
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
amonkeymom
by Amy on Apr. 3, 2013 at 3:08 PM
1 mom liked this

Since emotionally he is on a lower level (4-5 years?) you should treat him/punish him as you would a child of that age.  Time outs, etc, but also talk to him a lot!  Remind him before something happens what the consequences will be, whether good or bad so that he'll understand a little better.

KatyTylersMom
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 3:59 PM
1 mom liked this

Here is where a biomedical approach may help a LOT.  There are many supplements (NOT drugs) that can really help take that cutting edge right off and let the child be in a more calm, rational state when they get upset so that they can build coping skills. 

To give an example I'll use my 4 year old who can meltdown over not getting to sit in the chair she decided she wanted or having to share a toy with her brother.  She is a BALL of energy but also a ball of anxieties and frustrations.  There was a time we were putting her in the calm-down corner at least once an hour and EVERY night at mealtime because transitions were so hard for her to handle.  BUT then we started her with the DAN! doctor that has been treating our son for a year.  Now if she's in timeout once a week it's a surprise, she's still 4 - don't get me wrong the child has a strong will and a stubborn streak that can only have come from one place... and it ain't her daddy... but she is happy and calm.  She can get upset, with direction and support handle the upset feelings, say WHY she's mad in her 4 year old way, and then generally accept the outcome like having to let her brother have his turn and then she gets her turn.  And this is all made possible by the letters DAN and the word supplements! 

For my daughter we use 5-HTP (the precursor to serotonin so think anti-depressant without the meds) 3x a day, L-Theanine and L-Carnosine 2x a day (both supplements available at health stores) to calm her down and help with focus and attention, and then recently we've added St. John's Wort in the morning and a supplement called "NeuroLink" 2x a day, which is a mix of several different supplements which affect mood and behavior. 

I cannot say what your child needs, but I can say that finding the right combinations makes life possible in this house and lets us keep our 4 year old off heavy duty medications and out of time-out and the dog house:)

Chirinos
by Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 1:15 PM
1 mom liked this
Currently my son is taking Vynase, Risperdal, Lamictal, Intuniv, and Clonidine besides meds for his Asthma and Allergies so I am looking for ways to help him without adding anymore meds. Although your suggestions are good. Thank you so much.

Quoting KatyTylersMom:

Here is where a biomedical approach may help a LOT.  There are many supplements (NOT drugs) that can really help take that cutting edge right off and let the child be in a more calm, rational state when they get upset so that they can build coping skills. 

To give an example I'll use my 4 year old who can meltdown over not getting to sit in the chair she decided she wanted or having to share a toy with her brother.  She is a BALL of energy but also a ball of anxieties and frustrations.  There was a time we were putting her in the calm-down corner at least once an hour and EVERY night at mealtime because transitions were so hard for her to handle.  BUT then we started her with the DAN! doctor that has been treating our son for a year.  Now if she's in timeout once a week it's a surprise, she's still 4 - don't get me wrong the child has a strong will and a stubborn streak that can only have come from one place... and it ain't her daddy... but she is happy and calm.  She can get upset, with direction and support handle the upset feelings, say WHY she's mad in her 4 year old way, and then generally accept the outcome like having to let her brother have his turn and then she gets her turn.  And this is all made possible by the letters DAN and the word supplements! 

For my daughter we use 5-HTP (the precursor to serotonin so think anti-depressant without the meds) 3x a day, L-Theanine and L-Carnosine 2x a day (both supplements available at health stores) to calm her down and help with focus and attention, and then recently we've added St. John's Wort in the morning and a supplement called "NeuroLink" 2x a day, which is a mix of several different supplements which affect mood and behavior. 

I cannot say what your child needs, but I can say that finding the right combinations makes life possible in this house and lets us keep our 4 year old off heavy duty medications and out of time-out and the dog house:)

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Carreon
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 1:23 PM
1 mom liked this

Your child can not live in time out, he is not like other children. I would ask your doctor for a referral to a behavior therapist and try taking him off food dye. It sounds simple but it works. My son who has tantrums, hits, bites and also gets very upset if things do not go the way he thinks they should. After Christmas we took Johnathan off ALL food dye and it is in everything. He still gets candy just dye free, fruit snacks dye free etc... with in 2 days it was so much better and with in a week he was so much calmer and listened made more eye contact.On his Birthday we did a Thomas the train cake that had dye with in 15 min he was on the floor throwing a huge fit. Since then every now and again he has m & m's and I always regret it. Try it

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)