Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Vitamin recommendations?

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 6:24 PM
  • 23 Replies

Little dude is still a somewhat limited eater, and I need to find a way to get some vitamins in him. I give him Carnation Breakfast Essentials and that's all well and good, but some days he just doesn't want milk, so I need to find some back up.

Gummy vitamins and chewables are out, so I'm looking at vitamin powders. I need something odorless and tasteless  that I can mix in his apple juice. 

I've found some info online, but nothing really stands up and screams "he'll never notice this!" I'm wondering if anyone has some personal experience?

Thanks

by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 6:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
VioletsMomTown
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 6:50 PM
1 mom liked this

Super Nu Thera from Kirkmans is a good one. Apple juice is an awfully hard one to hide stuff in! I used to use a smoothie mix called Vega One (berry, chocolate or vanilla flavor) for Violet, and mix it with almond milk, its vegan and gluten and dairy free and a complete meal with tons of vitamins and minerals and good stuff in it. That Carnation contains GMO corn oil, toxic sucralose and carageenan (a gut irritant), and milk is often not so well tolerated by kids with autism.

Violet's Mom

Twitter @autismnotebook

BluntlyBlue
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 6:53 PM

Thanks for the input!

Quoting VioletsMomTown:

Super Nu Thera from Kirkmans is a good one. Apple juice is an awfully hard one to hide stuff in! I used to use a smoothie mix called Vega One (berry, chocolate or vanilla flavor) for Violet, and mix it with almond milk, its vegan and gluten and dairy free and a complete meal with tons of vitamins and minerals and good stuff in it. That Carnation contains GMO corn oil, toxic sucralose and carageenan (a gut irritant), and milk is often not so well tolerated by kids with autism.

KatyTylersMom
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:13 PM

We use Lee Silsby's ASD powder for our multivitamin and we order it online from "ourkidsasd.com" (we get other things from there as well such as fish oil liquid etc.).  It's bright yellow when mixed in a liquid so it's hard to hide (though if his sippy cup is not see-through them maybe you have a shot) and as my children have an uncanny ability to just know when I've tried to sneak something into their food or drink I said SCREW IT and they get it via a syringe twice a day. I mix it with maybe 5mL of water and all their other supplements and squirt it in their little mouths after breakfast and dinner. 

We give all kinds of other supplements at the same time, including the liquid fish oil because they aren't doing gummy vitamins either, and I am SO sure it tastes god awful but they take it with 0 fuss and less muss.  Took my daughter about a month to get there because drama is important in her 4 year old life but my son could have cared less from day one. 

Long story short I'm all for making stuff taste good and getting the vitamins in the kids any way that works but if you can't hide it then it's just 'medicine' and whatever method you have for getting advil or any other meds into your kid can work for a vitamin powder as well:)

BluntlyBlue
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:30 PM

That;s part of the problem, actually - he's only taken medicine once in his life, amox for an ear infection when he was still on the bottle. He's absolutely not used to it. Add in he's already 4 ft and solid muscle, and I have fibro ... well, forcing it in to him just isn't an option.

I'm pretty sure I'm just going to have to go with getting him interested in milkshakes/smoothies - something I can mix a flavored powder into.

OFIH
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:28 PM

I know ProThera has a powder called Vitaspectrum. We use the capsules (we used to open them and put them right into the foods and they never knew it was there, even my child that can smell anything different you have done to anything) but they have a powder that's made to go into foods and drinks.

OFIH - Controller of chaos, laugher at children's antics, creator of messes, lover of God.
mommy4lyf
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:40 PM

How about Pediasure? they have different flavors now. https://pediasure.com/ 

JTMOM422
by Platinum Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:50 PM

Sorry I can't help here. My son takes a chewable with iron. He thinks it's candy so he takes it without any issues. Hopefully some of the other moms have more ideas for you.

BluntlyBlue
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:30 PM

Thanks so much, definitely will check that out!

Quoting OFIH:

I know ProThera has a powder called Vitaspectrum. We use the capsules (we used to open them and put them right into the foods and they never knew it was there, even my child that can smell anything different you have done to anything) but they have a powder that's made to go into foods and drinks.

BluntlyBlue
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:32 PM

I started with Pedia Sure, but man it got pricey. I compared labels between it and the Carnation Breakfast Essentails, and the only things missing in the  Carnation were two obscure minerals. The Carnation is much cheaper.

Quoting mommy4lyf:

mommy4lyf
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:47 PM

That's good. I am not sure if they have that when my son was little. He's been always on pediasure till his milk allergy was diagnosed. That's when we stop giving it to him.

Quoting BluntlyBlue:

I started with Pedia Sure, but man it got pricey. I compared labels between it and the Carnation Breakfast Essentails, and the only things missing in the  Carnation were two obscure minerals. The Carnation is much cheaper.

Quoting mommy4lyf:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)