Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

gluten free/cassein free diet

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 7:58 PM
  • 10 Replies

We just started this diet with our son two weeks ago because he was having horrible constipation problems.  We met with a nutritionist who suggested it.  Today I was talking to the pediatrician who said just to do the gluten and not to worry about the cassein.  I would like to do this so he can have cheese every once in a while.  We do use almond milk.  Does any one else just do the gluten part?

by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 7:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KatyTylersMom
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:05 PM
1 mom liked this

If your kid is constipated TAKE OUT THE MILK.  Yes, you can certainly do only gluten or only casein or only soy or w/e else you feel is a trigger food for your child but I am telling you right now cheese is not worth it (and I truly LOVE cheese).  Kiss it goodbye, find another treat for about 6 months and give this GFCF diet a good long try.  If after 6 months you don't feel the changes have been worthwhile then go ahead and throw a pizza party:)

My son was 19 months pooping out BMs that were larger than mine.  To say that he was constipated does not even GO THERE.  He had fissures, was miserable, and was a space cadet who napped for 4 hours a day and slept 13 hours at night.  One week after going GFCF he was a new child.  No more constipation EVER, no more morning nap, no more long afternoon nap just a short 1 hour recharge, and he had SO much energy and was so much more connected to the world it was great.  Now, did he start talking and have eye contact and lose his autism?  Hell no.  We are working towards that now with our DAN doctor with supplements and vitamins as well as some straight up medical treatments for gut bacterial and yeast infections, as well as hours upon hours of therapies like ABA and speech.  But the diet change let him finally become aware of his surroundings and helped him start to feel healthy and better which in turn lets him LEARN instead of just sit there feeling like a sick lump. 

philipmommy4834
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:18 PM

BUMP!

newmommy430
by Silver Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:33 PM
1 mom liked this
That's odd that your pediatrician would say that considering milk is cause of most digestion problems. My son's pediatrician told me the opposite though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
newmommy430
by Silver Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:35 PM
1 mom liked this

http://www.daiyafoods.com/

We like this cheese.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
VioletsMomTown
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:37 PM

I was about to say the same thing! Mozarella flavor for us, the cheddar one was a bit too strong.

Quoting newmommy430:

We like this cheese.

newmommy430
by Silver Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:42 PM
1 mom liked this
Logan likes the cheddar, but only if I use it sparingly, like on tacos.

Quoting VioletsMomTown:

I was about to say the same thing! Mozarella flavor for us, the cheddar one was a bit too strong.

Quoting newmommy430:

We like this cheese.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
VioletsMomTown
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:44 PM

When we removed both, the constipation stopped. Poor kid used to have grapefruit sized poops, I swear. I think the daiya non-dairy cheese is a good option, it melts well and makes a decent grilled cheese or pizza (with gf bread of course!). Cheese is almost pure casein, its way worse than just milk even. It is the NUMBER 1 allergen in the world. I think doctors worry that the kids won't get enough calcium, but the non-dairy milks contain calcium, so do leafy greens, fish and other foods. We don't need all that much calcium actually, often american diets are loaded with it. A Vitamin D & Vitamin K supplement will do much more for strengthening bones and teeth any day.

Violet's Mom

Twitter @autismnotebook

OFIH
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:26 PM

Interesting as milk is usually the bigger culprit in children with Autism.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Apr. 4, 2013 at 6:55 AM

Good luck mama!

Koltie6
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 7:54 AM
Just want to say that all the new research shows milk is probably worse for a child with Autism than Gluten. However gluten isn't really that good for anyone or let's say the foods that contain it. I hate to keep running this in the ground but I am so impressed by what I have seen I want to make sure every mom is at least aware of this research. Arkansas Childrens Hospital is doing on going research showing that 90 PERCENT of children with Autism Have A AutoAntibody that prevents them from absorbing folic acid. These kids were non verbal some have seizures and most GI issues. They were supplemented with Leucovorin or folinic avid which is a B vitamin. Incidentally the milk also prevents folic acid absorption. So this being said I would take away the milk ! We did and tested positive for the antibody started Leucovorin 1 year ago and it's been amazing . My son has gained speech his bowel issues have resolved but most important he is seizure free. So for doubters of the dairy side there is now scientific reason to give it a try. I recommend the blood test as well. If your Dr not up to speed. Google the research print it out and hand it to him. Unfortunately we as parents sometimes have to educate these Drs ourselves. They are busy treating earaches and sore throats and don't have time to keep up with new research.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)