Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My child keeps running away! Update

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:09 PM
  • 11 Replies

No lock will hold my son inside. I caught him earlier down the street, after getting through the top lock on our house. Of course, he was also half naked. I need an alarm that is so loud it will hurt your ears. I don't know what else to do, other to make him afraid to open the door because if he does, the sound that will go off will hurt. Any ideas?

Thanks for replying! My husband bought a door alarm at Radio Shack yesterday. It is 108 decibles, so exactly what we needed. It's loud enough to be painful, and loud enough to be heard no matter where we are in the house. It doesn't stop him from leaving, but lets me know the instant the door opens an inch! He is 5, goes to kindergarten all day. They keep an extra eye on my son at school because he will run from them also!

by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
girl_incognito
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:13 PM

Yep they have them at radio shack... worked like a charm for my little guy... this one is pretty loud 

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2850623&znt_campaign=Category_CMS&znt_

source=CAT&znt_medium=RSCOM&znt_content=CT2032331

mypbandj
by Jen on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:50 PM

how old is he?

JTMOM422
by Platinum Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:13 PM

We have alarms on our doors. We bought them at lowes. They are really loud. My son is a runner too and I fear the day he figures out the locks. I am hoping by that point he will have learned not to take off. I really wish I had an answer for you to help but I don't. I know there are sights that sell locks for safety. You could check them out.

emarin77
by Gold Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:29 PM

Our front door is double locked.  One higher than the other.  I catch my son when he is on the chair going for the higher lock to open.  You can also teach him to run to his bedroom when angry or sad.  My son who is 4 does that now.

TheJerseyGirl
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 5:31 AM

How old is he?

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Apr. 4, 2013 at 6:37 AM

These ladies have some good ideas...hugs and good luck!

TheLadyAmalthea
by Bronze Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 11:29 AM

He is 5.

Quoting TheJerseyGirl:

How old is he?

TheLadyAmalthea
by Bronze Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 11:30 AM

Quoting mypbandj:

how old is he?

LaurieMomof4
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 11:52 AM

I just posted about this then saw your post, I'm so glad this is working for you, this will be our next step.

girl_incognito
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 11:54 AM

Yay! I am so happy for you... That thing is loud huh? LOL... I like alarms versus locks, because the child still has the choice to open the door, and they kinda learn not to do that instead of just being forced to stay in by a lock!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)