Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Would you...

Posted by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 7:50 AM
  • 9 Replies

I wanna take both of my sons to the shrine circus. They are both autistic. My oldest will do pretty good there. My youngest does not do good in crowds or loud places. Would you even attempt to bring your child to the circus knowing he won't do good there? Even though there has been times where we do go to crowded places and he does ok. What would you do?

by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 7:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Charizma77
by Carissa on Apr. 4, 2013 at 8:11 AM

I probably wouldn't. When Ashton was 4 we took him to Disney on Ice, he loved the Incredibles and they were the main story. Well, it was too much for him and my dh ended up standing with him in the back. It wasn't a good memory for him and we spend a lot on the tickets.  

JTMOM422
by Brenda on Apr. 4, 2013 at 8:15 AM

I would go. Maybe get him earplugs to help with the noise. If it gets too overwhelming for him you can always leave.

dawncs
by Dawn on Apr. 4, 2013 at 8:26 AM

I would go with them. There is a simple solution to handling the loud noises and music at the circus. Have you thought of them wearing earplugs which can be located at the local dollar store or them wearing headphones? Both solutions will cut down the amount of noise to a reasonable level.

Dawn

Group owner of Different Learners Support Group (http://www.cafemom.com/group/118648)

mypbandj
by Jen on Apr. 4, 2013 at 8:33 AM
My son wouldn't wear ear plugs in his ears but he would wear noise canceling headphones. We had to use them one year for the 4th of July.

I would take a helper person with you so in case one son wants to go and one doesn't.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Rosebud27aj
by Amanda on Apr. 4, 2013 at 8:39 AM

Quoting mypbandj:

My son wouldn't wear ear plugs in his ears but he would wear noise canceling headphones. We had to use them one year for the 4th of July.

I would take a helper person with you so in case one son wants to go and one doesn't.

My dh, me and our other ds is going...if it came down to it, one of us could take our ds and walk around him outside. He doesn't like things on his head, so any kind of headphones or anything won't work...

Rosebud27aj
by Amanda on Apr. 4, 2013 at 10:06 AM

BUMP!

LivinDeadGurl
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 10:22 AM

I wouldn't do it unless I had someone with me who could take him home if he started having a tough time.

Macphee
by Bronze Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 11:18 AM

I would still try.

The more he is exposed to situations, and the more he is reassured by you that its fun, the better it will be.

Just remember which sensory issues he has. Is it the visual sight of crowds that overstimulates him, the sound, the feeling of being surrounded, etc.

It took us awhile before our son was able to handle crowds. When we did take him, he was allowed to wear a hoodie. He gets visually overstimulated, so if it got to be too much, he put his hoodie on and it blocked out some of the people.

Now, he doesn't mind crowds. He still has difficulty being in line with crowds. Research and see if there might be special accomodations at the circus for kids that fall under ADA. Circus I am unsure.

We went to theme parks and got this slip, so our son didn't have to wait in line and we could take his stroller everywhere. Stroller parking didn't apply to him. Also have some soothing music or games on hand for if he does need a break.

Give it a shot.

letstalk747
by Silver Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 10:43 PM

maybe he can wear some earmuffs

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN