Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Gonna cry UPDATED

Posted by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 2:03 PM
  • 21 Replies

My son is 11 and has autism.  He had a full blown physical meltdown this morning attacking a teacher and student.

We know have a mandatory emergency IEP meeting at 230. I have been educated to do IEP's, I know the laws.........This meeting has me scared. I have no idea how to handle this meeting. I know they may very well suspend my son, which they do have that right. 

All I ask is for prayers and good thoughts. Please. 

Went to the meeting. I could hear Kermit going off in the time out room. It broke my heart to hear him so upset. He was suspended for a day and half.  I asked the teachers for work to keep him busy because I am just that kind of mom who is not going to let him play all day. He will work. They said that he attacked a student(who happens to be his friend) and a teacher(breaking her wrist). That is why he was suspended. He does have a behavior plan, but he surpassed that today. We agree that he needed to be pulled into the Autism room during writing and literacy, these two classes are really hard for him and have more meltdowns. 

I cried the whole way home. Kermit was in the van screaming he hated me. I was a horrible mom. It was all my fault. That I was going to hell.   Now deep down I know that is anger talking. But omg those words coming from my sons mouth were like knives into my heart. 

His shrink upped his repsirdone and wants to see him in two weeks. And I am to give him his PRN in the mornings. I seriously just need someone to hug me and talk to me. My husband is not that type of person. I love him to death but some emotional support would not kill him.

by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 2:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Rainbowpuzzle12
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 2:14 PM
I will be praying!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Charizma77
by Carissa on Apr. 4, 2013 at 3:02 PM

Saying a prayer. Hugs!

mypbandj
by Jen on Apr. 4, 2013 at 3:28 PM
2 moms liked this

Hugs momma. 

I think that this is good news. If they had just suspened him and didn't call an IEP meeting, I would have been mad. They are probably going to put in place some extra supports for your son - because it appears that other's safety is at risk without it. It's nice that they are trying to help him rather than just suspend him. 

Gloria1025
by Bronze Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 3:44 PM

Hugs!  I hope they do come to the meeting with a positive "what more can we do to help him" attitude.  Sending positive thoughts your way!

LostInLove2002
by Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 3:58 PM
(((HUGS))) Where is the 'understanding' and 'acceptance' that everyone is preaching these days. Praying that God will give them understanding and that your son will not be punished for something he cannot control. :(
dustykitty
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 4:08 PM

Good luck!!! My heart goes out to you.  Mine are 3 and 4, but that day will come when they are older.  My oldest I need to watch since he has already hit a teacher, another student and the bus driver for no reason.  Everyone has been helping to make sure he knows what is right and wrong.  Again good luck.

oscarsmom70
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 5:29 PM

praying for you!!!!  Let us know how it goes . . .. 

mommy4lyf
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 5:34 PM

*Hugs*

oscarsmom70
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 12:12 PM
2 moms liked this

Thank you for the update.  

Praying for God to provide peace and comfort - to you and your sweet Kermit. I work at an organization that has a staff of licensed Christian counselors available by phone (at no cost to you) if you need to talk, get an outside perspective or even just encouragement . . . You can reach them (at no cost to you) by dialing 1-855-771-HELP (4357).  They’re here Monday through Friday between 6:00 A.M. and 8:00 P.M. (MT)

hugs

kaylasmom22
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 12:15 PM
Omg mama that must be so hard for you. I pray they find something that will help him calm a bit more
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)