Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

My son is 11 and has autism.  He had a full blown physical meltdown this morning attacking a teacher and student.

We know have a mandatory emergency IEP meeting at 230. I have been educated to do IEP's, I know the laws.........This meeting has me scared. I have no idea how to handle this meeting. I know they may very well suspend my son, which they do have that right. 

All I ask is for prayers and good thoughts. Please. 

Went to the meeting. I could hear Kermit going off in the time out room. It broke my heart to hear him so upset. He was suspended for a day and half.  I asked the teachers for work to keep him busy because I am just that kind of mom who is not going to let him play all day. He will work. They said that he attacked a student(who happens to be his friend) and a teacher(breaking her wrist). That is why he was suspended. He does have a behavior plan, but he surpassed that today. We agree that he needed to be pulled into the Autism room during writing and literacy, these two classes are really hard for him and have more meltdowns. 

I cried the whole way home. Kermit was in the van screaming he hated me. I was a horrible mom. It was all my fault. That I was going to hell.   Now deep down I know that is anger talking. But omg those words coming from my sons mouth were like knives into my heart. 

His shrink upped his repsirdone and wants to see him in two weeks. And I am to give him his PRN in the mornings. I seriously just need someone to hug me and talk to me. My husband is not that type of person. I love him to death but some emotional support would not kill him.

by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 2:03 PM
Replies (21-21):
lucasmadre
by Kari on Apr. 6, 2013 at 7:03 AM
1 mom liked this

Wow, I am so sorry. I can't imagine the pain you are in. It must feel like a nightmare you can't wake from. When your son calms down can you talk to him about his anger? I know my son (9) is very angry about being different and frustrated, school can be very hard for them. The only time he will talk to me about it is right before he falls asleep. 

I am sending you my love ans support and the biggest, longest hug I have. Ask your husband for hugs, he may not be able to be there emotionally (he is probably overwhelmed himself) but he can at least hug you! Reach out and keep posting, we are here for you.  XOXO

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)