Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Feeding Issues - and a gripe

Posted by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 2:45 PM
  • 6 Replies

I think I am going to slap the next person that says, "at least he's high functioning". Really, they should call it something else because I think people think that means "kid with very few issues".

Our 7 year old never ate meat. For years we joked that we had done too good of a job when introducing solids and now he would only eat fruit, veggies and grains. You couldn't hide meat to save you life. We tried it all. He was like this from his first bite of baby meat. Finally, with feeding therapy, we got him to start eating meat. If given the choice he will always opt for the non-meat item. So, I don't give him a choice. I put meat on his plate and he will slowly eat it. Until recently. He's now back on the eat only veggies kick. Last night, for example, we had chicken, mashed potatoes, and peas. He ate the peas. He ate the potatoes. He refused the chicken (I made it just how he likes it). He asked for 23 carrots instead. Yes, 23, that exact number. He's like that. He won't ask for SOME carrots. He will give you a number. Now, these are carrot chips (cut up carrots into chip size pieces, not dehydrated), so don't think he ate 23 whole carrots. But that was supper. Yes, his poop was a bit orange today. I am working on feeding therapy with him again to get past what this is. But do any of you have kids that do this? He can't be without big sources of protein. He has issues with weight gain, muscle building, energy, and growth. He's also a bit hypoglycemic. I have a high quality protein powder that I hide in things (popsicles made with coconut ice cream, homemade protein bars, etc). It has none of the foods he can't have in it (gluten, casein, soy, etc). But there's only so much of that I can get into him before he balks. Today he has low energy and had a hypoglycemia episode this morning (my legs are weak, I am shaky, I am too weak to stand - that's how he describes it). I will seek any advice I can find. I know there is protein in other foods, he won't eat most of them. I can do feeding therapy exercises with him. I know how. But it's getting the foods in there in creative ways and in many different forms (he also stops eating anything he's eaten very much. He might eat it 5 times, not even in a row, and won't eat it again for months on end.)

OFIH - Controller of chaos, laugher at children's antics, creator of messes, lover of God.
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 2:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
KatyTylersMom
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 3:23 PM

Right on Christmas my son got the stomach flu and puked on and off for several days and then was just not eating much for a week.  After that suddenly he was refusing foods (all the meats) he'd eaten without complaint for years.  I had to sandwhich his meats in potato and corn chips because it seemed he needed the crunch to handle the meat textures.  Fast forward to this week, 4 months later, we gave him a new medication bc his poops and tummy haven't been right since that flu.  So one week of Metronitizol (sp?) and suddenly meat is back on the menu minus the chips! 

So my only tips are chip sandwiches and maybe checking out a stool analysis to see if he's got a lot of bad bugs going in there? If nuts are ok for him to have maybe start putting nut butter in everything? My son is GFCFSF as well as nut free so yeah if the meats go we are screwed too! 

Charizma77
by Carissa on Apr. 4, 2013 at 3:26 PM

I wish my son loved veggies. He does love fruit though and has made himself sick eating too much of it:/

he also will get sick of a certain food if we eat it too often and has refused chicken (his favorite) until we took a break from it and then he will eat it again. We had a lot of issues when he was eating gluten free and to this day he won't eat certain food that he used to eat when he was gf. He got really picky when he was on the diet and lost a lot of weight and got depressed. It's been over a year since he has been off of it and his appetite has returned but he is pickier now then he was when he was younger but we are gradually getting better. He loves rice and fruit so I am happy about that.

good for you for being proactive with feeding therapy. I don't really have any advice but I hope you are able to get some. Having a child with special needs, regardless of how high functioning they are, can be overwhelming. Hugs!

OFIH
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 3:28 PM
Yeah, he hates all nut butters. He gags just being in the same room with them open.
LostInLove2002
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 4:12 PM

BUMP!

LostInLove2002
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 4:26 PM
You know I have no advice. :/ DS often checks his milk after we've had a conversation over the phone. LOL He just KNOWS his Auntie has suggested some something or another for his betterment. LOL How much money I've tossed out because of that bloodhound nose of his. :D I do pray that things change. I know with ds I'm seeing that it's boredom. Yeah, his meat menu is soooooo small. Do you think getting his help in making it will get him interested again?
ReachtotheStars
by Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 6:47 PM

Nick with the help of therapy eats very very little

He would if I didn't let him go hungry eat crackers and toast all day.  

That being said I have let him skip up to 24 hours with no food if he won't eat what I offer.  

We use "juice bags" baby food in a bag to get any veggies and fruits into him, and he will eat chicken with extream encouragement.  

He will also eat all kinds of nuts, but he can't live on toast, crackers and nuts.  

Some days I feel at a loss.  He is only 28lbs at 5 years old, and every time we have given in to his food habits and let him eat just toast and crackers he looses more weight then when we fight him to eat normal foods.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)