Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

handwriting

Posted by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 6:49 PM
  • 13 Replies
Does your autistic child struggle with handwriting??
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 6:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
blessedhappymom
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 7:06 PM
We use a handwriting program with my son called Handwriting Without Tears. It's multi sensory approach helps my son and he loves it. He so likes writing letters and trying to spell words, but letters are 'his thing' a d anything dealing with letters he loves.
Mom2Seb
by Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 7:15 PM

absolutely!  My ds is two years delayed in fine motor, we are starting occupational therapy next week.  His handwriting compared to his calssmates (kindergarten) is very far behind.  His psychologist expects it will take a year or so for him to catch up.

OFIH
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:42 PM

YES! We use Handwriting Without Tears and it's working well. We also use a grip called the Claw pencil grip that LostinLove suggested to us.

OFIH - Controller of chaos, laugher at children's antics, creator of messes, lover of God.
lucasmadre
by Kari on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:51 PM

Yes my son has terrible handwriting, as do all of the autistic kids I know, and most of the doctors :)

mypbandj
by Jen on Apr. 4, 2013 at 10:43 PM
Both my older kids, and dh, have horrible handwriting! The one who is on the spectrum probably has the better of the others.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
marlew
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 10:50 PM

My sons handwriting is legible but not good.  He still writes his letters from the top down instead of the correct way.  We tried to correct but after a while we gave up.  I just came to terms that there are bigger issues to deal with.  I'm not autistic myself and I hield a pencil wrong for years.  So I think it depends on how bad the handwriting is.  We still work on it but I dont let it bother me as much.  I figure it will improve with time. 

dawncs
by Dawn on Apr. 4, 2013 at 10:52 PM

Have you thought about requesting from the school an evaluation for Occupational Therapy (OT)? It works with fine motor skills. I had it in the eighth grade, and it improved things for me.

Dawn

Group owner of Different Learners Support Group (http://www.cafemom.com/group/118648)

mightymo
by Bronze Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 7:54 PM

my grandsons writing is unreadable, plus he rushes to get his writing done

Charizma77
by Carissa on Apr. 5, 2013 at 7:59 PM

Yes, he writes very lightly and messy. He hates to write, makes homework such a chore.

Kimmiky
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 10:44 PM
YES!!!! this program was created by an OT for SN kids. I've heard there is music and stuff to help them form letters as well.

Quoting blessedhappymom:

We use a handwriting program with my son called Handwriting Without Tears. It's multi sensory approach helps my son and he loves it. He so likes writing letters and trying to spell words, but letters are 'his thing' a d anything dealing with letters he loves.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)