Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

How much do you work with your kids on school work?

Posted by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 10:44 PM
  • 15 Replies

As I am sure it is this way for alot of moms with kids with ASD but homework and projects are a struggle, and time consuming.  I try really hard to work with my son and make sure he completes assignments.  He needs so much help.  I just feel like between my other responsiblities my duty to my daughter that if I were to work on everything he needs help with that he would never get to be home and just be a kid.  I want to help teach him but I also want to enjoy him.  Go to the park build legos sit and snuggle and watch a movie, Do any other struggle with this issue and how do you find balance?

by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 10:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
dawncs
by Dawn on Apr. 4, 2013 at 11:01 PM

How is your son doing in school? Is he bringing in work he did not complete in class? You might want to have a conference with his teacher to see how you can help him at home. Another idea is to get him evaluated for Special Education services (http://www.wrightslaw.com/), and you do this in writing. You need to state his disability in the letter. The school can give him help for his weak areas in school affected by his disability. I recommend reading: http://www.aspergersyndrome.org/, http://www.ldonline.org/, http://www.autism-society.org/, http://www.chadd.org/, and http://www.thearc.org/.

Dawn

Group owner of Different Learners Support Group (http://www.cafemom.com/group/118648)

VioletsMomTown
by Robyn on Apr. 4, 2013 at 11:15 PM
1 mom liked this

My daughter is 4 and started in September, she was actually getting about an hour of homework a couple times a week! I ended up doing it for her, she can't use scissors or glue and has no interest in drawing pictures yet. It was frustrating. Once we had the IEP meeting I just said look, she can't do homework that other kids do, and we haven't had any since. I guess at some point in the future she'll have to do some, but I'm with you, get outside, have fun, be a kid, homework stinks!

Violet's Mom

Twitter @autismnotebook

marlew
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 11:20 PM

He has an IEP and recieves help in all areas. So much of the assignments are still difficult for him.  He has good days and bad.  Some days he comes home with 2 sheets of homework  other days none, but he has spelling words he needs to work on and we a are suppose to read for a half hour each day, and one sheet can sometimes take an hour.  So between homework dishes and shower you do the math.  It doesnt help that I work afternoons so I am only home 2 or 3 evenings a week ,but I am currently trying to change that.

VioletsMomTown
by Robyn on Apr. 4, 2013 at 11:33 PM
1 mom liked this

That must be tough. Maybe you can ask them to give him homework on weekends only, so he can work on it without such a deadline. Thats the power of the IEP, lol.

Quoting marlew:

He has an IEP and recieves help in all areas. So much of the assignments are still difficult for him.  He has good days and bad.  Some days he comes home with 2 sheets of homework  other days none, but he has spelling words he needs to work on and we a are suppose to read for a half hour each day, and one sheet can sometimes take an hour.  So between homework dishes and shower you do the math.  It doesnt help that I work afternoons so I am only home 2 or 3 evenings a week ,but I am currently trying to change that.

Violet's Mom

Twitter @autismnotebook

Mi_Chelly
by Bronze Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 12:32 AM

I am very much a flow with what is going on type of person. Schedules actually freak me out, which is bad since our ASD son is very much a schedule person. I flow between all the kids, one will sit on my lap while I help another (and it looks kinda funny when I get one of the teens sitting on my lap wrapping my arms around them in a hug). But since they are older, they know when the alarm on our ASD son's iPad goes off for his "study time", I need to focus on him for those few minutes. 

He doesn't have homework per se, but I work with him daily in math, reading, and grammer on his iPad. We do either a couple worksheets of grammer, read a couple pages of a book, or 20 math problems. Those few minutes are his and his alone. Once they are done, the others flow back to me as they need me or want to "hang out" and chat. I also set his alarm to go off after supper, since most time before supper is when the older kids are doing their school work, so I can focus on them when they need the help or to bounce ideas off of. 

I also got pretty good at multi-tasking between them all, which they love to test and I will get the three oldest all gang up on me at the same time to help with stuff. It is a contest to see who can get me to loose track of each first.

mypbandj
by Jen on Apr. 5, 2013 at 12:36 AM
I did that when he was younger, a lot during 3-5th grades. Now that he's in 9th, he pretty much does it himself!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Apr. 5, 2013 at 6:34 AM

Oh my...your 4 year old has homework?  I've never heard of that before!  Does she go to a special ed preschool or a NT preschool?  Just curious:)

My son goes to a special ed preschool, and there's no homework there...he has the brain of a 10-12 month old so homework would be about pointless.  

I'm just surprised to be honest that a 4 year old was given homework!

Quoting VioletsMomTown:

My daughter is 4 and started in September, she was actually getting about an hour of homework a couple times a week! I ended up doing it for her, she can't use scissors or glue and has no interest in drawing pictures yet. It was frustrating. Once we had the IEP meeting I just said look, she can't do homework that other kids do, and we haven't had any since. I guess at some point in the future she'll have to do some, but I'm with you, get outside, have fun, be a kid, homework stinks!

VioletsMomTown
by Robyn on Apr. 5, 2013 at 6:43 AM

Its a mainstream class yeah, they don't have special ed schools here.  They call it Junior Kindergarten in Canada, its not even "pre"school because they are right in the school doing school stuff same as Kindergarten, full days, 5 days a week. The teacher was sending assignments home with us until I just had to say, listen, you're giving ME homework, please stop. We put that in the IEP. I also only agreed to send her 3 days a week, it was just too much to expect with the 5 days. I'm glad they're more flexible with her having autism at least.

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Oh my...your 4 year old has homework?  I've never heard of that before!  Does she go to a special ed preschool or a NT preschool?  Just curious:)

My son goes to a special ed preschool, and there's no homework there...he has the brain of a 10-12 month old so homework would be about pointless.  

Quoting VioletsMomTown:

Violet's Mom

Twitter @autismnotebook

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Apr. 5, 2013 at 7:07 AM

Interesting...thanks for explaining that to me!  I like to learn how things are different in different places:)  I'm glad you are able to send her only 3 days/week if that is what works best for her.  This is Brady's 2nd year of preschool...he will be 5 in October.  His program is 5 days/week but only half days.  Last year, I only sent him 3 days/week as he was just too young and it was too much for him.  They didn't really like that but I informed them he doesn't have to attend school (by law) until he's 6 years old, so I could do what I wanted to with him.  Nothing was said after that:)

Quoting VioletsMomTown:

Its a mainstream class yeah, they don't have special ed schools here.  They call it Junior Kindergarten in Canada, its not even "pre"school because they are right in the school doing school stuff same as Kindergarten, full days, 5 days a week. The teacher was sending assignments home with us until I just had to say, listen, you're giving ME homework, please stop. We put that in the IEP. I also only agreed to send her 3 days a week, it was just too much to expect with the 5 days. I'm glad they're more flexible with her having autism at least.

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Quoting VioletsMomTown:

time4me2day
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 10:40 AM

Talk to the teacher(s). Even if there is no IEP or 504 plan in place they already know he is different just by working with him. Approach the teacher as an adocate for your child, not as a frazzled stressed out mom. Ask if they can change the work or give him more time. Most teachers are OK with helping to accomadate your child's learning style because they want him to learn!  My son has good days where he can just breeze through it all and others where I have to sit right next to him and keep redirecting him to his work, and some days that doesn't work!  On the bad days I email the teacher to say we need more time and it is usually given to him.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN