Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do any of your kids do this? What does echolalia look like in your child?

My son will repeat words he hears us say. For example, if I ask him: do you want to go to the park? He will say "Park!" Yet, I know that means no.

I noticed him doing it at school. They said, here is a toy. Do you want it? He replied, want it. But he didnt want it.

So I made a point to tell the Speech path and she said, yes that is echolalia and she does notice him doing it. Then, I observed his language eval today and noticed it more. If she asked him something he didnt know, he just repeated her words. She'd say: what do you do when you're thirsty? And he would just say: thirsty.

He also can say words and short sentences independently. I didn't realize you could have echolalia too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 12:47 AM
Replies (21-28):
MomOfOneCoolKid
by Gold Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 5:00 PM

Yeah, my son went through that. It passed though.

There were other times when he would recite complete tv shows or repeat his toy sounds and words.

MomOfOneCoolKid
by Gold Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 5:01 PM

Quoting mypbandj:

He is going to be three next month.

I never thought of breaking down questioning answering skills that way. I'm going to start paying attention to that. Thanks for that idea.

Quoting BKozICan:

How old is he? That was T about a year and a half ago (about 4 years old).

We went from non-speaking(2 years) to purely echoing (3-3 1/2) to rote phrases (4-4 1/2) to two-turn conversations (5 1/2). He can answer what, where and who questions, but whys and hows are still difficult.

Baby steps...

Quoting mypbandj:

Speaking of rote phrases, I'm wondering if my ds does this too. Almost everything he says is one word at a time, pauses inbetween each word so his speech is not fluid. Except for some rote phrases. Like, he can say "bye friends! See you soon!" And it comes out perfectly clear. And if anything drops or falls it someone says ouch, he almost will sing, "sorry!" A lot of the time it seems appropriate but sometimes it isn't. Like yesterday during his language eval, something fell in the room next to him and there was a boom. He immediately said: sorry! So now I'm wondering if these rote phrases are actually echolalia and not improvements in his usual non-fluid speech??

Quoting BKozICan:

Early on, T was just like you describe--ask Do you want juice or water and he'd say water even though he wanted juice (and then the meltdown when he got it to his mouth and it wasn't juice).  Now is more that he repeats the whole question and then answers it, almost like he needs just that extra seconds to formulate the answer.

Our other is his rote phrases--what's for dinner, can I watch a movie, or what's the calendar. He uses those when he wants to ask something or start a conversation and doesn't know how.

Yup. At 2 to 3 yrs old that was him. :)

jeda1429
by Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 5:02 PM

y son did it when he was little. He used to sit at the table at daycar and repeat everything everyone else said. But now he is elev and hasn;t done it for years :)

KatyTylersMom
by Silver Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 5:08 PM

My daughter has this same issue where she can't answer certain questions so she'll just say 'yes' b/c she knows it'll end the conversation.  So if I ask her how her day went unless Santa himself came and sat in her classroom and sang her most favorite songs with Rudolph on backup, you're never going to get an answer.  So then we start the more specific questioning - did you ride the school bus? YES I LOVE my school bus!  Did you sing songs? Did you color with crayons? Did you go play outside? - she may have done all or none of these things but you'll get the answer "yes" every time probably b/c at SOME POINT at school she has done all those things and doesn't understand the concept of time very well yet.  Yesterday, today, tomorrow is pretty much it, the it's everything else lumped into some "other time". 

As for the questions absolutely it's pretty much "what" then "where" then "how" and then the "why's" and "when's" are much harder b/c they deal with abstract thought like how someone else is thinking or feeling and or something that happened at a time other than RIGHT NOW.  Katy just turned 4 and can do all the questions but the last two which are *very* hard for her to understand unless the 'why' is an immediate thing like her brother fell down and is now crying or a friend stole a toy and now someone is upset - she can say "bubbie is sad b/c he fell down" or "she's crying b/c XX didn't share".  But the 'why' phase everyone bemoans so much "why is the sky blue why do dogs bark why does mommy have longer hair than daddy" etc. has not taken place in our house b/c neither kid is anywhere near that level of abstract thought. 

Quoting mypbandj:

Right. If he does want something he says OKAY! And he will say yes but it doesn't always mean yes. For example, the teacher asks him, do you have a kitten at home? He says YES.

We don't have any cats.

Quoting Kittie26:

So your son repeats when he does NOT want something? My daughter (3) does it when she DOES want something. I have to tell people if she says "no," she means no, and if she repeats what you say, she means yes. To try to work her out of it, I ask her yes or no after she's repeated. Or I'll just say "yes, please" and she'll repeat that. Been doing this for a year and not a lot of progress, but I get so thrilled when she does say Yes on her own. 

by Bronze Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 2:32 AM
I am not to worried about it because i plan to gone school her with my older girls anyway. Wegeta lot of therapies through our insurance. And they are all in home.

Quoting mypbandj:

Stupid schools. LOL

Did you know that you can disagree with their eval and make them pay for an independent eval? I had to do that with my other son once.

Quoting 03071012:

My daughter has echolalia. The school didn't agree that it was echolalia. They said it was normal. She does those same things you described your son doing. My dd gets speech through a private company and it is getting better

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mypbandj
by Jen on Apr. 6, 2013 at 8:22 AM
That is really great you have that option! :)

Quoting 03071012:

I am not to worried about it because i plan to gone school her with my older girls anyway. Wegeta lot of therapies through our insurance. And they are all in home.

Quoting mypbandj:

Stupid schools. LOL

Did you know that you can disagree with their eval and make them pay for an independent eval? I had to do that with my other son once.

Quoting 03071012:

My daughter has echolalia. The school didn't agree that it was echolalia. They said it was normal. She does those same things you described your son doing. My dd gets speech through a private company and it is getting better

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Basherte
by Silver Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 8:58 PM

I'm sorry. I don't have anything I can offer for suggestions.

Here's a bump!!!

Hope you get some help.

CafeMom Tickers
maciymommieof3
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 9:00 PM

they that dd might have had it...but turned out she did not.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)