Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

I been trying to potty train my son now.. for 2 YEARS.. please help or any advice

Posted by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 2:17 AM
  • 7 Replies

My son's 4... he is high functioning autistic.  Most of his skills (speech, motor ect) are in the 1% percentile, So to make it easier, His vocabulary is very small, and  his comprehension to things are just not that great. 

I have been trying for 2 years to get him to go on the potty.. I tried baby potties, booster seats..even ordered him a toddler Urnal..   I try to put him on every half hour to an hour, and it's really a hit or miss.  When he would go pee.. I would give him a snack, appraise him, say good job, and i still do.. but it's so hard when he doesn't understand the concept of, having to pee and going on the potty. 

I have tried the underwear thing where i just keep him in underwear all day. someone told me that if he gets wet... he won't like it, ect.   But he will literally just kind of pee...through it all without like having it bother him..   The wierd thing is.. He'll tell me he pooped.. He'll say "Did you poopy?" and thats his way to tell he pooped.

Does anyone have any advice? Thank you in advanced. <3 stay blessed and i guess it's nice to vent lol. 

by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 2:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Apr. 5, 2013 at 6:31 AM

We are nowhere near potty training, so I don't know mama.  Good luck!

Mi_Chelly
by Bronze Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 8:24 AM
The best I can advise, it will happen when it happens... My son was six when he caught onto the day time potty training. He was on summer vacation between 1st and 2nd grade when we got night time down. Depending on activity, we still have accidents and he is 9.

When he was younger, we would introduce, he would ignore. We continued introducing and one day, it clicked for him. But bed times were a nightmare, every morning he would pee threw his pull-ups and soak his bed, not waking up. I took a summer my husband was deployed, and I would wake him up every two hours, have him go to the potty, normally nothing happened, and he would still wet the bed, opting to pee once back asleep in bed. Two months of hardly any sleep, and slowly he would pee when awake. By the time summer ended, he was waking himself up to go to the bathroom.

Everything was in stages, at his pace.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Elismom2007
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 7:16 PM
http://www.tinkletoonz.com/special_needs.html

This is something we are thinking of trying. We are in a similar boat except my son will be 6 and is between 2 households.
patty73740
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 7:19 PM

i had the same problem with my son who is high functioning autistic.... truth be told i had to step aside and let my husband potty train him... i think just having another influence take control over the issue was a big help... he had been hearing and seeing the same things over and over from me. My husband had a different approach and for my son it just seemed to work. 

Cerumen
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 7:29 PM

He's  not ready. Get disposable leakproof underpants for him and encourage him, but quit making such a big deal out of it.

ablett
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 7:33 PM

hi... it has taken nearly over a year to get our son dry during the day and its only been the last 4 months that he has actually taken him self ,to go poopy that has only just come byhimself but he is not able to wipe him self clean ( has no idea at all) he will sometime tell us he has been poopy other time's no ...all i can offer is just keep going and hopefully your son will eventually work it out thats what we ended up doing ..all the best 

HLM143
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 7:50 PM
I'm an ABA therapist. With regards to reinforcement or "rewards" when potty training, you have literally 2-3 SECONDS to deliver reinforcement to your child for it to be successful. The "rewards" also needs to be something extremely potent or special. The reward you choose must NEVER be given at any other time other than for success on the potty. Many parents choose skittles or M&M's because they are small, special treats and can be kept in a small jar right in the bathroom, for ease of access to give the reward right away!!! I hope this helps, please let me know if you would like more info! Good luck!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)