Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Anyone with a preteen on the spectrum who is having difficulties around their cycle time?

Posted by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 1:23 PM
  • 5 Replies
My DD is 12. She seems to get emotional angry and loses control around that time of the month. Sadly it is a twice a month event with her. She just got OSS because she lost it when she was told no and to sit down by principal. She started cursing at him. Which is something i do not allow.right after it happened she started her cycle. For two days she was having the melt downs and the i do not care attitude. I do not know what to do anymore. They have her on abilify which usually calms her, but her Dr will not be writing it out next month. I am trying to get her into a a different therapist since her therapist abandoned her and her sister to move to other jobs in the therapy office. I notice it is the time of year where we start having issues. Please advise.
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 1:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Bobcatridge
by Carol on Apr. 5, 2013 at 2:19 PM
1 mom liked this

I also have a 12 yr old daughter with aspergers, generalized anxiety disorder, phobias, and depression issues.  She definitely has more meltdowns the week before the period.  She is not completely regular but I can always tell her period is coming because she is so emotional.  Puberty brings on more than just periods.  With my daughter the social skills issues came to the forefront.  She wanted friends but didn't have the social skills to make them.  We don't swear or curse but my daughter curses now.  She doesn't have the social skills to know that you just don't go around swearing all the time.  I and her autism/social skills therapist are working on this.  I keep expecting her to get sent home from school because of the swearing.

I can't imagine losing a therapist to other jobs in the therapy office.  It seems to me the therapist should have taken steps to make certain you transitioned to a new therapist.  We have a psychiatrist for meds, a cognitive behavioral therapist for anxiety & phobias, an autism/social skills therapist, social skills training group, and soon my daughter will be starting a teen girl therapy group.  Sometimes it feels like we are going from one therapy appointment to another but we are making progress.  Getting the right medication has been a challenge too for us.  My biggest advice is therapy; therapy, and then more therapy.  Well, at least that is what we are  doing. 

KatyTylersMom
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 5:15 PM

Two supplements might help - St. John's Wort (1 cap a day) and 5-HTP.  The 5-HTP can cause drowsiness in some (not my kids b/c god knows it would take an elephant tranq dart to calm their behinds down) so maybe try two caps before bed and then on a weekend when the schedule is lighter maybe two in the morning and after lunch. 

My kids are little so no period-related drama yet but I myself use these supplements to GREAT effect all through the month and have noticed a very marked decrease in my desire to murder people or hysterically cry for no particular reason during Shark Week :)

Bobcatridge
by Carol on Apr. 5, 2013 at 11:51 PM

My daughter uses 5HTP at night and she claims it really calms her.  We don't use it during the day as she has prescriptions for the daytime.

decembercherish
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 8:37 AM

What i 5 HTP?

JTMOM422
by Brenda on Apr. 6, 2013 at 8:51 AM

I am sorry I don't have these problems. I have a little boy but the advice these moms gave sound great also if she is having them so much you could talk to her doctor about maybe some type of birth control to help regulate her. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)