Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum
I saw a post in another group about a mom frustrated with a family who had an autistic child who hurt her child. This post is filled yo the brim with replies about how we ( moms of kids with autism) make excuses for discipline and how they don't care that 'our ' kids don't know how to behave themselves they shouldn't be out with other kids if they can't keep their hands to themselves.
It just irritated me! I just cant believe how many ignorant idiots are on here!
so in light of autism awareness month I thought I'd ask how you would handle people like this in public.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 10:50 PM
Replies (11-20):
TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Apr. 6, 2013 at 12:07 PM
Dillon epitomizes how other children should behave.. That's been said by everyone we meet. He's a sweetheart! With that being said, I know ANY child can be a behavior problem and I think all need to be addressed according to the child's age and definitely their disability.

Some people are so ignorant or uneducated and I think those bother me the most as far as disciplining a child.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
emarin77
by Silver Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 1:03 PM

After 3 warnings of not changing mal behavior, my husband takes my son out of the restaurant for example.  They have a talk and once my son is calmed down, states what he did wrong and that he will not do it again they come back into the restaurant.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Apr. 6, 2013 at 7:34 PM

My son has the brain of a 10-12 month old child.  He understands very little in reference to being disciplined with time outs and such.  He responds well to a firm "no" and to me redirecting him.  NO spanking and NO timeouts.

Kimmiky
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 11:41 PM
My in laws kept slapping my son at that age and wouldn't listen when I said that he responds much better if you just hold his hand for a second and tell him no firmly. They're response was an eye roll as they continued to repeatedly slap my son

Quoting darbyakeep45:

My son has the brain of a 10-12 month old child.  He understands very little in reference to being disciplined with time outs and such.  He responds well to a firm "no" and to me redirecting him.  NO spanking and NO timeouts.

lady-J-Rock
by Bronze Member on Apr. 7, 2013 at 12:07 AM
This is what we do. I tell people look you wouldn't spank or put a 10 month old in time out. It is really hard because he looks like a 3 year old. His actual age is 20 months old.

Quoting darbyakeep45:

mariat2
by Maria on Apr. 7, 2013 at 12:49 AM
I dicipline my son.example time outs ,take away favorite items,bit I also reward him for dood behavior.
mariat2
by Maria on Apr. 7, 2013 at 12:50 AM
*good

Quoting mariat2:

I dicipline my son.example time outs ,take away favorite items,bit I also reward him for dood behavior.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Apr. 7, 2013 at 6:44 AM

Exactly!  My son is 4.5 years old but he has the bones/body of a 18-24 month old.  I know just what you mean:)

Quoting lady-J-Rock:

This is what we do. I tell people look you wouldn't spank or put a 10 month old in time out. It is really hard because he looks like a 3 year old. His actual age is 20 months old.

Quoting darbyakeep45:

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Apr. 7, 2013 at 6:44 AM

Oh heck no!  I would NOT have dealt well with that mama!  What did you do as they slapped your son?

Quoting Kimmiky:

My in laws kept slapping my son at that age and wouldn't listen when I said that he responds much better if you just hold his hand for a second and tell him no firmly. They're response was an eye roll as they continued to repeatedly slap my son

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Kimmiky
by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 9:39 AM
1 mom liked this
I went over and pulled him away from the Vcr and gave him something different to do. They just ignore me when I tell them certain things don't work with him. Of course I'm only an idiot, I have no idea how to raise children since I didn't do it five times more than thirty years ago.

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Oh heck no!  I would NOT have dealt well with that mama!  What did you do as they slapped your son?

Quoting Kimmiky:

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)