Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Seat belt ... please help!

Posted by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 9:11 PM
  • 45 Replies

Have you ever had problems with your little one wearing the seat belt? Every time my 4 year old (autistic) daughter gets in the car she freaks out when I'm putting the seat belt on, and starts a tantrum. I have to force her to stay still so I can put it on, but she manages to get her arms free and then I have to unbuckle her before she strangles herself. I put one of these car seat trays on as a seat belt. She gets distracted enough with the coloring book, so she's OK with it. But it's not eficient enough. I don't know if it's a normal 4 year old thing or if it's a sensory thing.

Please help!!!

by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 9:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mypbandj
by Jen on Apr. 7, 2013 at 9:18 PM
2 moms liked this
It sounds like she should still be harnessed. A lot of 4 year olds aren't mature enough to ride without a harness. I'm not sure what you mean about a tray but it doesn't sound safe. I'm a child passenger safety technician so ask me any questions!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
all4gumby
by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 9:24 PM
1 mom liked this

What about seat pets? https://www.seatpets.com/

JTMOM422
by Brenda on Apr. 7, 2013 at 10:13 PM
1 mom liked this

Sounds like a sensory thing to me. My dd is 4 NT and she doesn't mind. Sometimes my son who is almos 3 and ASD gets bohered by it.

VeroKarr
by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 11:41 PM

So, this is the tray (got this picture out of the internet). It's not safe at all! She needs to be harnessed, but she makes a big fuss about it. I usually tell her we're not going anywhere if she doesn't put the seat belt on and she throws a fit while I'm driving, trying to free herself from it. So when I get to school she's already upset... 

Do you know of anything I can use to make it easier for her. Now that I'm asking you I'm thinking maybe it's too tight. I'll try to loosen it a little tomorrow. Hope that works.

If you know of any other technique, please let me know!

Thanks!

Quoting mypbandj:

It sounds like she should still be harnessed. A lot of 4 year olds aren't mature enough to ride without a harness. I'm not sure what you mean about a tray but it doesn't sound safe. I'm a child passenger safety technician so ask me any questions!

VeroKarr
by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 11:43 PM

Thank you. Maybe I can get something to distract her then. I'll try loosen the belt a little. :)

Quoting JTMOM422:

Sounds like a sensory thing to me. My dd is 4 NT and she doesn't mind. Sometimes my son who is almos 3 and ASD gets bohered by it.

VeroKarr
by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 11:43 PM

I'll try this. Don't know if it'll work, but I'm willing to try anything!

Thank you!

Quoting all4gumby:

TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Apr. 8, 2013 at 5:19 AM

this!

Quoting mypbandj:

Myspace Comments

TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Apr. 8, 2013 at 5:19 AM

Those are neat!

Quoting VeroKarr:

I'll try this. Don't know if it'll work, but I'm willing to try anything!

Thank you!

Quoting all4gumby:

Myspace Comments

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Apr. 8, 2013 at 7:50 AM
1 mom liked this

I agree here.  My 4.5 year old is still in a 5 point harness...he's small so he has no problem fitting in it.  But I plan to keep him there as long as I can.  His seat goes up to 65 pounds for the harness.

Quoting mypbandj:

OFIH
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 7:54 AM
1 mom liked this
If you have an occupational therapist, they can work with this issue. You could talk to them, bring in the seat (or they go to the car) and it could be part of therapy.
OFIH - Controller of chaos, laugher at children's antics, creator of messes, lover of God.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)