Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Token board

Posted by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 11:17 AM
  • 12 Replies
Has anyone used it or tried it with their child??
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 11:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Macphee
by Silver Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 11:51 AM

we've used a first then board. first being the behavior we want, then a toy or preferred activity... it works.

we tried a sticker board, so many stickers means going to the zoo or a toy. it didn't work out, at all.

(evidently, my stickers were not perfectly lined up and ds ripped it apart trying to fix it)

TheJerseyGirl
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 12:38 PM
Yes and sometimes it worked and sometimes it didn't.. Depending on what he really wanted
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Charizma77
by Carissa on Apr. 9, 2013 at 1:03 PM

Not sure. Is it like a reward chart?

princess_1983
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 1:06 PM

I use one with my son. It has different activities like clean up your mess, stay in bed, brush your teeth, stuff like that. Then velcro stars for if he does the activity. Most of the time it works well. I orddered it from Amazon.

MomOfOneCoolKid
by Gold Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 1:25 PM

I've never heard of it but just googled it.

Sounds like a good idea to try.

Here are two pics of it I found:

Dora-rulz
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 1:42 PM
Sounds like a good idea. We use an if...then chart for potty time. It works pretty good cause she gets to pick the end (fun) activity. I know in school she does something like that using pennies. Once she has collected so many pennies then she gets a prize (fav activity).
mariat2
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 3:46 PM

This is the one I use at home :)
KatyTylersMom
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 3:47 PM
1 mom liked this

This is something my son's ABA team uses with him.  He started at just 19 months but now at almost 3 he has opinions on his lessons.  And with only using rewards like tickles or being tossed in the air he was perfectly happy to NOT do his lessons and wait out his therapists until they'd just move onto the next lesson.  So they brought in a token board and now he knows he gets a velcro PEC every time he does his lesson and after 10 he's done and can go take a break or w/e.  They don't go the whole 9 yards w/ the "picture of what I'm working for" b/c they want him to choose and use his words to tell them after he's finished.  Works like a charm:)

mariat2
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 3:49 PM
Yes it's a reward chart for good behavior.It's visual so they know what they are working for.

Quoting Charizma77:

Charizma77
by Carissa on Apr. 9, 2013 at 4:45 PM

Ok, that's what I thought. His at home therapists tried it but it never seemed to have much success at home like it would at school. What worked better was routine and a schedule in pics (when he was younger, doesn't need it now) we would schedule in breaks for him too. Not every moment of his day but we had a big chart with hat our day would look like, what therapies he had or church stuff. Ashton likes knowing what's going on.

Quoting mariat2:

Yes it's a reward chart for good behavior.It's visual so they know what they are working for.

Quoting Charizma77:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)