Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I don't know what to do

Posted by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 1:57 PM
  • 8 Replies
Just has ds's iep. It is finally official. They really want me to change him to self contained at another school and I don't want to. Next year in the first grade they have 3 different classes/ teachers. So I'm for a one on one to help to classes and redirect behaviors. He is getting speech and ot also. His academics are above average and he's scoring a year ahead in most cases. What would you do? What have your experiences been?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 1:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Mewlan
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 2:12 PM

What was their justification for putting your son in the most restrictive environment?  There is a page in the IEP where they have to write down why it was not appropriate for let's say 100% mainstream, 50%/50%, full self contained?  I'm wondering what that said.

And what is his current placement...reg ed with supports/modifications?

JTMOM422
by Platinum Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 2:19 PM

Sorry I can't help. Have my first IEP next week 

t1gger143
by Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 2:20 PM
Right now in kindergarten placement is appropriate 100% regular ed with modifications and support. It's is next year we are worried about.

Quoting Mewlan:

What was their justification for putting your son in the most restrictive environment?  There is a page in the IEP where they have to write down why it was not appropriate for let's say 100% mainstream, 50%/50%, full self contained?  I'm wondering what that said.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
KatyTylersMom
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 3:50 PM

Yes it's more what are their justifications for not having him in gen ed?  They by law must provide the least restrictive environment so they really have to provide a lot of evidence as to why gen ed is no longer appropriate with w/e modifications.  If it's just that the other school has a fantastic program then that's one thing but you are by no means obliged to swap the school if they cannot prove why he MUST have that restrictive program.  So evidence of him not meeting goals currently, potential for harm, etc.

Quoting t1gger143:

Right now in kindergarten placement is appropriate 100% regular ed with modifications and support. It's is next year we are worried about.

Quoting Mewlan:

mypbandj
by Jen on Apr. 9, 2013 at 4:00 PM

When my son was moving up from preK to kindergarten, they tried to put him in a self contained classroom too. They told me that the school district couldn't afford to pay for him to have a one on one para. I could see their point but if they are supposed to give him the least restrictive environment, and a one on one para would work, aren't they REQUIRED to do that? I mean, it's not my son's problem that they say they can't "afford" it. They acted like they just didn't do that - and I know that is BS. 

Anyyway, I knew that my son was super smart and I was NOT putting him in the self contatined classroom. So I refused it. We actually ended up taking him to a private school for K-5. I had teachers telling me that it wasn't going to work and that he would never make it there. I spent every day there worried they would kick him out. But you know what? He was FINE! And he did GREAT! And now he is in 9th grade, doing better than most regular 9th graders. He get's straight A's. He's in higher math than other kids and he's taking all honer classes next year. 

Mewlan
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 5:44 PM
2 moms liked this

Yes, that.  The SD has to provide very valid reasons why your son is being changed from a 100% of the time in reg ed with supports to self-contained...that is extreme and seemingly so far without any valid justifications like KTMom said e.g. not meeting education goals, safety, etc. 

School districts typically do things for their convenience..so maybe it's not convenient or they want to use the budget $ for new curtains for some classrooms or computers for the reg ed kids.  So cheaper and more convenient to push all the kids into one self contained classroom...one teacher a couple of aids rather than provide aides for each student in order to mainstream them in an LRE.

Like KTMom said, if the self-contained program is absolutely marvelous, ok that is one thing.  However, if not, then meet with the Superintendent your position being...justify to me why my son is not able to be in the same LRE as he was in K or I'm going to file for due process and file a complaint.  They will probably back off.  Just don't say things like, I want what is "best" for my son.  They don't have to give you what is best.  However they do have to give you what is appropriate in the least restrictive environment.

Quoting KatyTylersMom:

Yes it's more what are their justifications for not having him in gen ed?  They by law must provide the least restrictive environment so they really have to provide a lot of evidence as to why gen ed is no longer appropriate with w/e modifications.  If it's just that the other school has a fantastic program then that's one thing but you are by no means obliged to swap the school if they cannot prove why he MUST have that restrictive program.  So evidence of him not meeting goals currently, potential for harm, etc.

lucasmadre
by Kari on Apr. 9, 2013 at 7:27 PM

My son has been mainstreamed and is now in third grade. He gets some out of classroom help (OT, math, and he sees the school psychologist for social issues) but he is doing wonderfully and I wouldn't change anything. I think the exposure he gets in school is priceless and his teachers expect the most from him and treat him like he is capable. I don't know the benifits of a school that specializes in kids with challenges but I do know that being in regular classes has been the best thing for my boy so far. Good luck with your choice!  XO

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Apr. 10, 2013 at 7:14 AM

Hugs mama.  My son is in a self contained class but I don't have any experience with what you're referring to.  Good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)