Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How much contact do you have?

Posted by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 4:06 PM
Jen
  • 8 Replies

If you child is in Early Intervetion (EI) or was, how much contact do you have with your child's EI therapists during the time you don't see them. Do you ever call them to ask questions during the week? Or tell them about other appointments? Or do you just wait until they come to your house for a regular appointment?

by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 4:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
KatyTylersMom
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 6:33 PM

We get 10 hours of 1:1 ABA in-home and then usually once a week the supervisor therapist will come and observe and participate in the session.  I will tell them when we add speech therapy goals that can overlap with the ABA nicely (this week we're working on "yes" so if he wants a break or a toy they can ask him "oh do you want XXX?" and let him practice his "yes" easily during the session).  Now I'm always in the house while they're doing the therapy and generally my 4 year old is also with me so while I'm not participating in the session I'm around and close enough to hear what all they're working on that day. 

For my daughter, she goes to EI preschool 4 days a week for 3 hours in the afternoon and there we just have a notebook that gets sent back and forth in her backpack every day.  So if she's just having a BAD day I might include a note to the teacher, but generally it's notes from the teacher to me regarding what she's doing in class (generally good things) or a special upcoming event etc. So it doesn't feel like a lot of contact or feedback but we have quarterly IEP update meetings where we'll go over her progress towards her 9 goals so I'm not (as of yet) that concerned about the lack of weekly feedback. 

icn_mom
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 6:38 PM

when my dd was in EI i only spoke with her therapists the days of appointments. when they came to the house id tell them about other aspects of her life (such as appointments etc)...

JTMOM422
by Platinum Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 6:57 PM

My son only has one more appointment with his EI. If I call her it's to change a meeting. My son doesn't like her so its good there is only one more therapy with her

VioletsMomTown
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 9:06 PM

I do keep in touch regularly with Violet's dan doctor, speech therapist, development worker, and her teacher. I will email them or call them whenever I have a question or need advice. They are really great about helping me out.

Violet's Mom

Twitter @autismnotebook

Basherte
by Silver Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 9:36 PM

I mostly waited, just because most of the time, the next appointment was the day after something would happen. Otherwise, I've called my son's speech therapist from early intervention since he's been out of early intervention, and gave her an update on how he is doing.

CafeMom Tickers
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Apr. 10, 2013 at 7:06 AM

When Brady was in EI, I saw his social worker (case worker) once per month, but I called her all the time to give her updates:)  He doesn't have anyone like that now though as he's not in EI anymore.  I'm VERY involved in all of his current therapies and I work closely with his therapists.

mypbandj
by Jen on Apr. 10, 2013 at 8:22 AM
How did it go with the ST yesterday?

Quoting darbyakeep45:

When Brady was in EI, I saw his social worker (case worker) once per month, but I called her all the time to give her updates:)  He doesn't have anyone like that now though as he's not in EI anymore.  I'm VERY involved in all of his current therapies and I work closely with his therapists.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
princess_1983
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 8:49 AM

When my son was is ECI I would text the therapist if I need to reschedule or had an important question. If it wasn't an important question I would just tell them when I saw them.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)