Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Potty training....help...

Posted by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 7:44 PM
  • 8 Replies

When did your lo finish potty training? Both of my boys are autistic and I seem to be having a lot of trouble with both. We have tried everything you could think of and still nothing.   Sigh....

by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 7:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Rosebud27aj
by Amanda on Apr. 9, 2013 at 7:52 PM

BUMP!

Rosebud27aj
by Amanda on Apr. 9, 2013 at 7:59 PM

Ok anybody???

icn_mom
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 8:03 PM

my dd with HF ASD is six years old and still having trouble with potty training. so im with you, i know it can be frustrating.

Rosebud27aj
by Amanda on Apr. 9, 2013 at 8:06 PM

Yes very...my oldest is 6 and my youngest is 3...it's in both of their iep's, but younget shows no signs at all...

Quoting icn_mom:

my dd with HF ASD is six years old and still having trouble with potty training. so im with you, i know it can be frustrating.

icn_mom
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 8:11 PM

oh I hear you. my dd's IEP has special stipulations for certain toileting times etc... she has mastered urinating on the toilet but has some serious poop resistance. she resists so much she gets constipated and is on myralax for that, and she constanty is smearing her undies :( I talk with her doctor about the best course of action and he says that im doing exactly what i should be doing... thanks for the vote of confidence but its very frustrating lol

Quoting Rosebud27aj:

Yes very...my oldest is 6 and my youngest is 3...it's in both of their iep's, but younget shows no signs at all...

Quoting icn_mom:

Rosebud27aj
by Amanda on Apr. 9, 2013 at 8:23 PM

BUMP!

mypbandj
by Jen on Apr. 9, 2013 at 9:26 PM

My oldest child, aspergers, took a long time. He was probably five and still pooping in his pants. He COULD do it on the toilet but he would get so busy and be in his "own world" that he would just poop/pee himself. Made dh SO mad. We had tried things like rewards and even punishments but what finally worked was just letting it go and giving him full control (and responibility). We bought a bunch of garage sale underwear then, when he would poop in his pants, or pee, he had to go into the bathroom and clean himself. I didn't get mad. That wouldnt' help. I had to stay 100% neutral. As if he had spilled milk by accident....and I would make him clean that....that is how I treated it. He changed in the tub and the poop underwear were put into a bag. I usually threw them away too - that's why I bought them at a garage sale cause 5 year old poop is gross! Then he had to turn on the water, wash himself, dry himself, dress himself. It took a long time but eventually he figured out, pooping in the potty took way less time. And that is the only thing that worked. 

When he started kindergarten at six, he peed himself sometimes and I had to tell him, if you come home wet, you will not be allowed to play w/ your video games. Worked like a charm. 

He wet the bed till 7 and we just left that one alone. He wore pull ups until one day he just started to wake up dry. 

My dd, who is NT, potty trained herself at 25 months. She was easy but I totally deserved that after ds. 

Now, my almost 3 year old is potty training. He will pee in the potty but asks for a diaper to poop. I'm just leaving him alone about it for now. 

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Apr. 10, 2013 at 7:12 AM

My son is 4.5 years old but we are nowhere near ready for that yet.  Hugs!  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)