Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

eleven year old attending IEP meeting

Posted by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 9:53 AM
  • 7 Replies

Hi guys,

I'm just looking for your thoughts on having an elevn year old attend his IEP meeting.

by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 9:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
GOBryan
by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 9:56 AM

It depends on how much he understands. I would rather not if he does because you will be discussing his achievements and drawbacks. Behavior, etc. So you don't want him to hear anything negative that needs to be discussed. 

jeda1429
by Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 10:08 AM

He is super smart , and understands all of it quite well. He likes his autism and is comfortable with it at this point. It sounds like the school would like him to be there, but I am concerned about the emotional impact that it could have on him. IEP meetings can be hard for me to handle as an adult,and I am worried that a bunch of adults pointing out his flaws could be too much for him to handle. I will probably end up talking to his social skills teacher , and find out what exactly is going to be said at the meeting before I agree or disagree to bring him.

Austinsmom4544
by Silver Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 10:33 AM

Have him come in at the beginning of the meeting and voice his feelings, and ideas.  My son is a part of his IEP and seems to enjoy it.  He feels like he's being heard.  He only comes in for the first 20 minutes then we discuss his progress, and things we need to work on.  It has worked out great. 

Itsreallyokay
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 2:29 PM

Hmm. I haven't been in this situation exactly. Our IEP meetings have usually been conducted during the school day so my son is attending class. I do have to say that I feel more comfortable and able to focus when neither of my children are present for important meetings simply because they are younger and often want either my attention or the attention of others in the room and to me it detracts from the business at hand. I did have both children at the very first IEP meeting. And just my younger daughter at the second, it was at that time that I said "no more. i need to be alone for this." It wasn't because they were bad or wild or anything, it's merely that I want to be able to focus fully on something so important without being distracted by them. But that's just my preference.

JoshRachelsMAMA
by JRM on Apr. 18, 2013 at 2:34 PM
Why not? After all, it's his future you'll be discussing.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jeda1429
by Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 4:37 PM

I do think he should be allowed to have input, I just want to make sure nothing overly harsh is going to be said in his presence. I have left meetings in tears and I would hate for that to happen to him :(

Quoting JoshRachelsMAMA:

JoshRachelsMAMA
by JRM on Apr. 18, 2013 at 4:47 PM
Well then the adults in the room should choose their words carefully for the benefit of the child. But he shouldn't be excluded. Tell your teacher that he will be attending and that's hat you expect from all at the table..

Quoting jeda1429:

I do think he should be allowed to have input, I just want to make sure nothing overly harsh is going to be said in his presence. I have left meetings in tears and I would hate for that to happen to him :(

Quoting JoshRachelsMAMA:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)