Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

When did your child fully potty train?

Posted by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 1:37 PM
  • 33 Replies

I have 2 boys, both autistic. My 3 yr old ds shows no signs at all of being ready. My 6  yr old ds just started showing signs about 6 months ago and we are working with, but it's been awhile now. He only peed on the toilet a few times. We also have tried everything to get him to go on the toilet, to encourage him. A lot of times he'll sit on the toilet and he wont do anything. They also have it in his iep to help him too. I think school has a big help too. I'm just wondering when did your asd child fully potty train and how long did it take?

by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 1:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Rosebud27aj
by Amanda on Apr. 17, 2013 at 1:52 PM

BUMP!

girl_incognito
by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 1:53 PM

Our potty training started early at about 18 months, then at 2 he regressed... he was fully trained right before he was 5. Pooping was the hardest part! Mine has Aspergers, don't know if that makes any difference, I'm sure it does.

amonkeymom
by Amy on Apr. 17, 2013 at 2:32 PM

My son was trained by the time he was 3.

carterjacksmom
by Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 2:36 PM

Mine really started getting interested in his Pre k class.  They go as a group to the bathrooms.  He was fully trained pee by 4 yrs old and poop last month at 4 1/2.

Rosebud27aj
by Amanda on Apr. 17, 2013 at 3:37 PM

BUMP!

Charizma77
by Carissa on Apr. 17, 2013 at 4:34 PM

Pee trained at 4 

poop trained at 5

no more pull-ups at night at 6

I admit it took a lot of time and work and a whole lot of patience and consistency but he eventually got it and does well with it now. He is 8. He was and is such a busy kid and easily distracted. He didn't care if he had accident either..which made training even harder. He still runs into the bathroom like he's running a race. We are always having to remind him to slow down.. 

MomOfOneCoolKid
by Gold Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 5:58 PM

He's been potty trained since 3 but we've had lots of accidents lol

The accidents have reduced. Like, right after being "potty-trained" it was maybe once a day. Then it was once a week.

Recently when he went to a new school, (4 yrs old) he started having accidents but now its gotten normal again.

Recently he's stayed dried all night for a week, but then the next night he was wet again. Then dry all night for 3 days, then wet.

So, i guess, its on-going for us lol :)

BaBeezandMe
by Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 5:59 PM

My twins are Autistic and both trained very late.

M was 4 1/2 and C was 5 1/2 when they were fully trained

MomOfOneCoolKid
by Gold Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 6:00 PM

I know alot of moms on here with kids with aspergers said that their kid had accidents at 8 yrs old through 15 yrs old.

sknc78
by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 8:53 PM
1 mom liked this

My daughter is six and still needs help. She will go to the potty, but I still have to follow her in and hand her the toilet paper. We have to hand over hand to get her to flush. For us we were lucky because she hates being messy and dirty. We have to remember that our children are developmentally delayed and potty training will come when it comes. Just keep encouraging.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)