Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Considering an ipad or ipad mini

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 9:42 AM
  • 39 Replies

I'm considering buying my son an ipad or ipad mini for his 2nd birthday. I primarily want it for better use of the "my choice board" app (http://www.goodkarmaapplications.com/my-choice-board.html) which he is successfully learning to use on my old iphone, but it's a bit small for his fingers. 

He uses my Kindle Fire for learning apps, but I've noticed that apple has WAY better apps and a WAY better variety. It seems like the way to go. Not to mention, I think that the ipads might respond better to touch. 

Anyway, I'm kind of conflicted between the ipad 2 and the ipad mini. Ipad mini starts at $329, or I could get a refurbished ipad 2 for $319, so the price is basically the same. It just comes down to which is more suitable. I'm leaning towards the ipad 2 because it will be easier for him to use, but then I consider the mini because it's more portable. If he's going to be using it primarily for communication, I want it to be very portable. I noticed that with the iphone, he has a tendency to put his thumb on the screen to grip the device, which makes stop responding to his tapping with his index finger. I don't know if that would be an issue with the mini though. 

Decisions, decisions! 

Oh, and I also feel a little crazy buying a 2 year old an ipad. I know that it's OK because of the reasons why I'm buying it, but I constantly have these "what are you thinking!!!" moments. I'll get over it. :) 

So what do you think? Ipad 2 or ipad mini? Thanks!! 

by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 9:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JTMOM422
by Brenda on Apr. 19, 2013 at 9:50 AM

We have an IPAD and my son does great with it. I know how you feel. When I bought it I was like this is crazy. Then my sister was telling me to buy this kid learning tool and I told her my kids had an IPAD and kindle why would I get them a kid one. She laughed and said not every 2 and 4 year old owns an IPAD and kindle. LOL. But I agree the apps on the IPAD are much better.  

Mi_Chelly
by Bronze Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 12:09 PM
The ipad mini is basically the ipad 2, smaller. It can handle every ipad app and it's smaller size is easier on travel. I have honestly thought of trading in our full size iPads snd going ipad mini. My son has the ipad 2, and it gets frustrating finding a place for it out in restraunts and such (family of six, not many have tables big enough so we are quashed lol), the mini fits in my purse easily. My husband has the mini and I have the ipad 3. My son's 2 was mine until my husband bought me the 3 since our son basically took over mine. After getting my husband's mini, I was very tempted to just take my old 2 in and do a trade in on a mini for our son. I still might over the summer.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Mi_Chelly
by Bronze Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 12:16 PM
2 moms liked this
Also, if you buy a sturdy case like an otterbox, it adds space around for placing fingers to hold and if dropped, won't hurt the device. Accidentally ran over my iPhone in the otterbox, not a scratch on the case and phone was perfectly fine.

If you go in settings and turn on Multitasking Gestures, even a figure on the screen will allow regular use. I have it on for my son who sometimes places a thumb on the screen still, it allows him to stick touch with his other hand. I don't think the phones or iPod touches have that feature tho.
mypbandj
by Jen on Apr. 19, 2013 at 2:56 PM
2 moms liked this

I think I'd go with an iPad because it is bigger - easier for littler fingers with not such great fine motor skills. But in all honesty, the iPad mini's are just a tad smaller. We have both at home. 

The absolute BEST case you can get for them is Big Grips. I have one on my iPad that my 2 year old plays all the time. I've seen similiar products at best buy or Toys R Us but in real life, they do not compare. Big Grips is also the case that our Early Intervention uses with all of their iPads (and they loan them out to people too!)

They come in a variety of colors and you can get one with a stand or without. We do not have a stand. Although sometimes I wish we did have one. And now, they have a nice carrying case. I am serioulsy thinking of buying one of those!  And you buy them on Amazon.com

mommy4lyf
by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 3:13 PM

Ipad 2 or the new ipad are both okay. You won't see much difference but the price. I would recommend the ipad 2..the bigger the better for the kids. It's easy on their eyes. Just buy a good quality shock proof and water proof case.

It's not a crazy idea at all. I have the First Generation iphone when it first came out ( I still have it with me).  My son was nonverbal but the moment he touched it, it feels like he already know what to do. It was the greatest invention for me then and now the ipad. You are doing the right thing.

KatyTylersMom
by Silver Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 3:20 PM
1 mom liked this

We have two iPads for two kids (there is just only so much fighting I can handle in one day!) and better money has never been spent.  There are so many great apps for kids and autistic kids, that I really feel it is worth every penny.  With kids, bigger is almost always better b/c 1) it gets lost less easily, 2) little fingers somehow need a larger screen, 3) easier to hold particularly with THIS case cover on it:  http://www.reallygoodstuff.com/product/ipad+big+grips+frame.do?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=SEM10000541&gclid=CNvq8ca517YCFQef4AodJkUAuQ

My daughter was 2 when we got our first iPad, my son is 2 currently and has been using one for over a year now, number of repairs needed:  1 b/c my friends kid stepped on it and broke the screen.  Trust me - they won't want iPad to get hurt and have booboo so they'll take GOOD care of it:)

Charizma77
by Carissa on Apr. 19, 2013 at 3:31 PM

We have an iPad 2 and there are a ton of apps. I imagine the iPad mini is just as good. Just make sure you get an otter box put on it. We didn't at first, had a cover but nothing on the screen and he dropped it and it cracked. It cost us a lot of money...stupid me :(

SnortysMom
by Cathleen on Apr. 19, 2013 at 4:01 PM
1 mom liked this

I have an Ipad (it's actually a first generation one) for DS and he loves it. We got an otterbox for it. It has been a life-saver. If DS tantrums and the Ipad happens to be a victim of his tantrum (like it gets thrown on the floor or other hard surface) it comes out scratch free. 

DS likes flashcards and I found many of them for the Ipad. He likes everything from the ABC flashcards to parts of the body flashcards. He now knows where his spleen is too. lol

We take the Ipad with us on trips all the time. And with Netflix loaded onto it, he can watch movies while we are at a hotel. 

blessedhappymom
by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 4:01 PM
We have both and both boys use them just find but I notice they go back and forth over who gets to play with the mini. I guess it's just a matter of size preference.
TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Apr. 19, 2013 at 4:04 PM
I don't have one but wish I did!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)