Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Dentist: IV sedation or hold him down?

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 6:40 PM
  • 32 Replies
I'm not feeling good about IV but his dentist, pedi, and my mom (works in dental stuff) say its the best choice.

What experiences have you had with the dentist?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 6:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LaurieMomof4
by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 6:43 PM
1 mom liked this

We did do sedation to fill two cavities. I wouldn't do it for check ups but for filling cavities for sure.

MissTacoBell
by Bronze Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 6:45 PM
Thank you. It's to fill a few cavities. Or, get X-ray confirmation of the cavities and then fix them. Ds wasn't too cooperative today.

Quoting LaurieMomof4:

We did do sedation to fill two cavities. I wouldn't do it for check ups but for filling cavities for sure.

LaurieMomof4
by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 6:52 PM

I was very worried about the sedation for my son but it went just fine. Truthfully we didn't have another option. Make sure the detists office will be bringing in an anesthesiologist to monitor your child through the entire procedure.

VioletsMomTown
by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 6:57 PM

Please read this before you make your decision (link)

Violet's Mom

Twitter @autismnotebook

TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Apr. 19, 2013 at 8:14 PM
How old is he?
MissTacoBell
by Bronze Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 8:33 PM

Quoting TheJerseyGirl:

How old is he?

LostInLove2002
by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 8:48 PM
I was a dental asst. for several years. I also have a son who saw a pediatric dentist. He had almost NO patience for my son. I ONCE let him do meds on him. Oral. It didn't work until an hour and a half AFTER the procedure was over. IV's work a little faster and all but if you're not comfortable with it then go with your gut. If it's just for a cleaning and exam then they can hold him and maybe you can help. If he has to have something more indepth done it may be dangerous for him to flail around. Honestly, I think that the Dr.'s should suck it up and allow more time for patients that need it... not time for the type of work that needs to be done. Just my .02
mypbandj
by Jen on Apr. 19, 2013 at 9:09 PM
When I sat through an oral health class, they told us that with as little as two exposures to anesthesia, it can cause IQ loss.

Here is a WebMD article that talks about it: http://www.m.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/news/20120820/anesthesia-may-harm-childrens-brains

I guess anesthesia is a neurotoxin and especially dangerous to kids under three. Luckily your child is over 3. But it's still a tough decision. I have no idea what I would do. A year ago, I'd say sedation all the way!! But I had no idea how bad it was. Now I don't know.

Good luck! I know you'll make the right decision for your child.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MissTacoBell
by Bronze Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 9:27 PM
1 mom liked this
...I've been under like 12 times in my lifetime....6 of which under 2 years old.

I have been robbed of my potential genius.

But in all seriousness, he needs dental work done. It needs done. I'm a grown adult and I can't sit still for a local.

Quoting mypbandj:

When I sat through an oral health class, they told us that with as little as two exposures to anesthesia, it can cause IQ loss.

Here is a WebMD article that talks about it: http://www.m.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/news/20120820/anesthesia-may-harm-childrens-brains

I guess anesthesia is a neurotoxin and especially dangerous to kids under three. Luckily your child is over 3. But it's still a tough decision. I have no idea what I would do. A year ago, I'd say sedation all the way!! But I had no idea how bad it was. Now I don't know.

mypbandj
by Jen on Apr. 19, 2013 at 9:45 PM
Omgoodness just think of what a genius you could have been! LOL

I totally get it. I can't STAND dental work. I told my dentist that I'm never having any done on me again. Ever. I even paid to have my teeth sealed.

I'm going to brush my teeth right now! ;)

Quoting MissTacoBell:

...I've been under like 12 times in my lifetime....6 of which under 2 years old.

I have been robbed of my potential genius.

But in all seriousness, he needs dental work done. It needs done. I'm a grown adult and I can't sit still for a local.

Quoting mypbandj:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN