Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Wanderers and GPS trackers

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 6:41 PM
  • 10 Replies

I'm still on the hunt for some kind of GPS tracker for my very bright and high functioning wanderer. After a very scary Spring break I shared about here I feel like our house is fairly secure with new locks and alarms. My son today got away from his teachers twice at kindergarten. The first time he got all the way out to the parking lot before someone caught up to him, the second time he hid in a playground ball storage box and scared his teacher to death. He definitely needs some type of medical alert bracelet, but what I think he really needs is GPS. I have two teenagers and I always know where they are because of the iphone in their pockets and an app on my phone. Everything I'm finding for children is huge and clunky, attaches to clothes in a way my son would be able to get it off, etc... I've seen more stremlined GPS collars for dogs than bracelets for children. Have you found anything like this for Autistic kids? The technology to have GPS in a small device is there... why isn't it available?

by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 6:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
amonkeymom
by Amy on Apr. 20, 2013 at 4:23 PM
I haven't seen anything, but it does seem like he needs something.
LaurieMomof4
by on Apr. 20, 2013 at 4:56 PM

Thanks for your response. Anyone? This seems like such an easy thing but everything I'm finding is big and clunky.

JakesMommy527
by Member on Apr. 20, 2013 at 9:11 PM

I just saw this, It might work...

http://spytoolsguide.com/toddler-tag-child-locator/

KatyTylersMom
by Silver Member on Apr. 20, 2013 at 9:21 PM

This website looks pretty good: http://www.brickhousesecurity.com/category/gps+tracking/gps+tracking+devices+for+children.do

JTMOM422
by Brenda on Apr. 20, 2013 at 9:33 PM

No sorry haven't seen anything small enough. When you find one I would be interested if you could post it. My son is a runner and that is one of my biggest fears is him taking off. 

unusualmom
by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 6:07 AM

How about the medic alert walmart sells.  My grandfather has one and it has a gps locator.  Only problem is how to not get them to push the 911 button - easy - super glue the thing!  Its $15/month.  
Both my boys have a lifesaver through the police - but that can be a pita 

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Apr. 21, 2013 at 3:55 PM

No idea mama...hugs and good luck!

LaurieMomof4
by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 4:00 PM

I'm not familiar with the medic alert system from Walmart, anything with a 911 button I just ignored, lol. The little clips linked above I'm afraid my son would remove, take apart, use the pieces to build an alien transponder... You know, the usual ;) I need something durable that he can't get off... It just seems like there should be a product like this. I don't think they make criminals ankle bracelets in the size for a 6 year old, but that's pretty much what I need. 

LaurieMomof4
by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 4:16 PM

This is going to sound nutty but this is the closest thing I've found to what I want, it's a cat collar: 

http://www.pettracker.com/pet-gps/gps-cat-tracking

Charizma77
by Carissa on Apr. 21, 2013 at 9:51 PM

Bump

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)