Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Martial Arts tailored for ASD kids... check it out

Posted by on Apr. 20, 2013 at 9:44 PM
  • 11 Replies
1 mom liked this
Hey ladies, Saturday, my NT entered Central Florida's Terracotta Tournament for the first time. I knew that they were going to announce a Dragonfly program for ASD kids. My family met with the guy who started this. I was blown away. The entire event, from registration, to snacks, etc. sales all went towards Autism Awareness. The main thing the man, James Sang Lee said over and over again after we shared about our son was keep trying, don't give up. Our 6 year old ASD son is very "high energy" and physical. We have tried karate a couple of times. But his brain gets so excited that he runs around. Here is a package tailored just for our guys. Check it out: http://www.dragonflyasd.org/ p.s. how ironic that our NT competed in a tournament that was for ASD, and his brother is ASD.
by on Apr. 20, 2013 at 9:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
t1gger143
by Member on Apr. 20, 2013 at 9:47 PM
2 moms liked this
That's awesome. My ds is in karate and what a difference in 2 months. His teacher is awesome an understanding of what may happen during class.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
NatureMomof3
by Member on Apr. 20, 2013 at 10:32 PM

That's great! My son is a purple belt in taekwondoe. He loves it and it is so good for him, he's even learning meditation techniques that he uses when he gets upset. 

SnortysMom
by Cathleen on Apr. 20, 2013 at 10:35 PM

Thanks for the info!

blessedhappymom
by Bronze Member on Apr. 20, 2013 at 11:08 PM
Can't wait to check this out. We met with a karate instructor as our Autism Walk. He also has a degree in special education. DS was excited, but got really nervous today and didn't want to go. So we'll give it one more shot. I think it because the area where the kids do the classes has a lot of ehco so all the commands tht the kids repeat sound louder and echoey.
Macphee
by Bronze Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 10:59 AM

We tried it too. The mirrors is what set ds off. He likes to kick, but he gets so overexcited.

We're still going to try again.

elkmomma
by Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 11:14 AM

That is awesome !!!!!    The Kung Fu Academy we have here also can tailor to SN kids.

mommy4lyf
by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 11:30 AM
Wish we have one in our area : (
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Apr. 21, 2013 at 3:53 PM

My son is too young but we'll definitely go that route when he gets older...great idea!

Mi_Chelly
by Bronze Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 6:38 PM
That is awesome. I would love to get my son in, he is so hyper and needs to move, either gymnastics or martial arts would be good for him, but can't seem to find anything in our area.
MomOfOneCoolKid
by Gold Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 8:20 PM

Thank you! Thats awesome!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)