Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

my son has autism..i can live with it..will he ever use the bathroom?

Posted by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 10:26 PM
  • 24 Replies
my son is 12..he has never wet his self.. but he wont use the bathroom for bowel movements.i have tried everything..will it ever happen or is this a forever thing?
by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 10:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Apr. 22, 2013 at 6:30 AM

Welcome to the group!  These ladies are wonderful have great advice...I wish you the best!  My son is 4.5 but not potty trained yet.  Hugs!

N.Carter2001
by Bronze Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 8:49 AM

My son almost 5 and he won't go on the potty.

princess_1983
by Bronze Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 9:52 AM

My son is 5 and is still not potty trained. 

VioletsMomTown
by Robyn on Apr. 22, 2013 at 10:38 AM

It does take our kids longer to get there, but I do think you can have hope that he will get there eventually. You have to keep working on it.

Violet's Mom

Twitter @autismnotebook

YolandaR
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 11:52 AM
Hi my daughter isnow 9. I thought she would never potty train but I was able to have her potty trained.a luttle after her 5th birthday. Its a process but being consist was the key! I wish you so much luck!. What I found that worked for her was the pampers big kids potty training dvd. I would play it over and over. Then I think it finally clicked and she had the ah-ha moment.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Jamie1972
by Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 12:17 PM

my son  13 and for the last 8 yrs we have  been struggling to get him to use the toilet for his bm and not his underwear. only thing that has worked, besides rewards, is that every time he poops his pants he has to take a shower,wash his underwear out in  there then clean the tub. also if  he has an accident at school he has to leave his "mainstream" class and go back to the other class til he no longer poops. usually a day or 2 and he  goes back. (just cleaning out his underwear nvr seemed to work. especially since hes been doing it since he was 5.) now all i see in his underwear are skid marks from not wiping, but if he has flush able wipes hes good at getting it all 

emarin77
by Silver Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 12:44 PM

He must be scared of something.  Ask your son.  My son was 4.5 years when trained but he doesn't like the sound of the toilet when flushing.  He leaves the bathroom immediatly after flushing.

josiah0927
by Shanta on Apr. 22, 2013 at 12:48 PM

My son Josiah is 4 and I thought he would never get potty trained. We started having to time him and send him to the bathroom. We had to do the potty dance....even if he didnt go potty. It helped him to actually sit on the toilet w/o resisting b/c he knew we would dance when he was allowed to get up. I bought a watch and set the timer for him to potty. It was harder with the bowel movements b/c he would always go and hide or tuck away. I didnt care if he had started going in his clothes...I always made him finish on the toilet. He eventually got it on his own and now shouts "lets go potty" when he has to go. He is determined to not go on himself. All kids are different. You just have to find what works best for you all. We potty trained for over 2 years before he got the hang of it. I wish you the best of luck!!

unusualmom
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 6:16 PM
My son is 9 and we still have issues. Its a half and half thing. If we notice his signs then he will go to the bathroom - if not then its in his pants. Yeah - kinda sucks.
TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Apr. 22, 2013 at 6:36 PM
My son is 12 also... Are his bowel movements painful? I'm thinking that's the problem...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)