Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

my son has autism..i can live with it..will he ever use the bathroom?

Posted by   + Show Post
my son is 12..he has never wet his self.. but he wont use the bathroom for bowel movements.i have tried everything..will it ever happen or is this a forever thing?
by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 10:26 PM
Replies (11-20):
TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Apr. 22, 2013 at 6:37 PM
Yes! That could be it too!

Quoting emarin77:

He must be scared of something.  Ask your son.  My son was 4.5 years when trained but he doesn't like the sound of the toilet when flushing.  He leaves the bathroom immediatly after flushing.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Tammi4
by Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 6:43 PM
I wish I had advice for you but I don't. I'd be happy if my son would use the toilet even part of the time but he won't and he's 28 years old.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ang209
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 8:18 PM
Potty training is what eventually led us to an evaluation and diagnosis. I'm sorry, I know how frustrating it can be. I often wonder if our lives will ever not revolve around poop?! It's an everyday struggle. :(
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
bugsmama149
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 8:54 PM
1 mom liked this

My 12 year old son poops in the toilet but he still can't wipe his butt properly. It doesn't help that he half stands when he goes so he makes more of a mess between his cheeks than he otherwise would. I can't count how many pairs of underwear I've just thrown out. It sucks that I still have to check (and help wipe) my 12 year olds butt, but we do what we have to do don't we? :)  I told him last night if he were a super hero, his name would be "The Brown Streak" or "The Flying Dingleberry".  I figure, if I can't have a sense of humor about things I'll go nuts. lol.

Quoting Jamie1972:

my son  13 and for the last 8 yrs we have  been struggling to get him to use the toilet for his bm and not his underwear. only thing that has worked, besides rewards, is that every time he poops his pants he has to take a shower,wash his underwear out in  there then clean the tub. also if  he has an accident at school he has to leave his "mainstream" class and go back to the other class til he no longer poops. usually a day or 2 and he  goes back. (just cleaning out his underwear nvr seemed to work. especially since hes been doing it since he was 5.) now all i see in his underwear are skid marks from not wiping, but if he has flush able wipes hes good at getting it all 

Basherte
by Silver Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 7:21 AM

I'm hoping it will be soon for my son. He's 4.

CafeMom Tickers
PattyN1962
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 7:52 AM

Hi my son is 16 years old. It is a sensory issue for my son.  Alot of Autism issues are sensory as well as other factors. You should speak to your pedi doctor or if you are seeing a psychriast they can give you insight as to ways of helping your son. What ever the issues are, they can be worked out you just have to be patient and take one step at a time. It is a long and stressful road but somehow we find the strength to move forward. Check out my facebook page: For A Brighter Tomorrow. I post alot of information there as well. Good luck...Patty

JTMOM422
by Brenda on Apr. 23, 2013 at 9:15 AM

Welcome to the group. Have you spoken with his therapist about this. From what I have read from some moms it could be sensory related. Maybe his therapist could give you some ideas. My son is only 3 and we just started potty training

Eve-marie
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 9:25 AM
My son is 12 too. He started going at 6. He is in a daycare now with older boys, one of whom will soil himself. He is on a schedule, I think. That helps a bit, and if you can recognize the signs and rush him in there, he might get the hang of it. Good luck, momma.
cutiesexy66
by Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 4:27 PM
Yes he will my son is 15 with the same issue and he goes now to the bathroom but at times he will still have accidents I know u pain and it's the blues but he will eventually get it send me a friend request glad to know im not the only one with a issue like this
Autiziumom
by Ana on Apr. 24, 2013 at 1:41 AM
No u keep at it! My son isn't that old but he learned when he was 5. I never gave up on him. niether should u! It will happen! Trust urself and don't give up!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)