Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

ANXIETY anyone!!??

Posted by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 6:16 PM
  • 24 Replies

There are weeks and even months when I feel so much anxiety. It's like a whirlpool in my belly that would go on! It just doesn't stop. Does anyone else feel that way? That happens even in mid of night when I wake up. It gets worse at school pick up. I definitely know that I am doing what I can to help my son and possibly can't do better but I don't know why I can't remain calm. Every school pick up I am so desperate to know how he did at school. It feels like my high school grades. I sm sick of it. How do I calm myself. I have tried yoga, gymming and counseling but nothing seems to help. :(

by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 6:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
newmommy430
by Silver Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 6:20 PM
If you find out, then let me know. My big anxiety trigger is going somewhere new, especially if I'm driving there. I can definitely relate to how you feel. ((Hugs))
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mypbandj
by Jen on Apr. 24, 2013 at 6:27 PM
1 mom liked this

I have a lot of anxiety right now surround my son and his evaluations and everything. I have to force myself to think of something really dumb at night (like the storyline to Finding Nemo) otherwise my mind starts wondering off and I start getting myself all worked up and then I can't sleep. It is the same thing in the morning. I might wake up briefly really early but if I allow myself to think about things, it just wakes me all the way up!  

I'm having a hard time concentraing at home during the day. I find myself playin on fb or cm just to keep my thoughts busy about other things. Maybe you can try to force yourself to think about something else. Just don't allow yourself to obsess over the thing that cause you anxiety. 

AnnaNonamus
by Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 6:36 PM

When my kids were little, before the younger two were diagnosed, I basically ate xanax like pez. I was a ball of panic attacks from all the stress of raising 3 kids, two of which were autistic without me knowing it. 

Now that they are older, and I understand why they act the way they do, it's better. Maybe not easier, but better. It helps that they get help from outside sources, as well. It isn't just us dealing withit anymore. 

My worst times were during theday if the phone rang with the school number showing up. One year, just before the kids were diagnosed, my son was in 4th grade. He had a completely intolerant teacher in the morning. Towards the end of the school year, she refused to deal with him at all- I would drop him off at school, and get a call not 10 minutes later. It was happening almost every day for two weeks. 

I finally had myself a sit down and good cry in the parking lot before going in and telling them I was pulling my son from school. That was 2 weeks before the end. They kept telling me he was welcome to come back. I told him in no way were they making him or me feel like he was welcome when he was being kicked out for theday before he even had a chance to take off his back pack each morning. 

I took him to our PED the next day, had another good long cry, and got a note excusing him from school for stress. 

Ehen I think back to that year, I see how much we have all grown, and how much less stress there is in our lives now that we have help from the school, instead of more stress. 

It will get better. It might take time, and it might not feel like it, but it will get better. 

lucasmadre
by Kari on Apr. 24, 2013 at 6:46 PM
1 mom liked this

Anxiety, that is a tough one, I have been there and there is nothing worse. All I can say is that I got help from my doctor and took a mild/low dose anti-depressant. For me it broke the cycle and after a while I began cutting back until I didn't need it anymore...if you need help ask. Staying in that state of perpetual stress is so bad for your body...you need a break. If it makes you feel any better I know a couple of moms who feel the same way about pick up including me...it is the unknown- good day/bad day, happy/mad/sad, you never know what you are going to get :)  Take care of yourself! Don't be too proud to ask your doctor for advice.  XO

TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Apr. 24, 2013 at 8:34 PM
My name is Michele and you bet your ass I have anxiety!!! Lolol

I've never taken anything for it but I probay should. I think what helps me is a new day of starting fresh and hoping for a change. I know that a long walk, a good cry, a cup of coffee early in the morning all by myself, creating something pretty, or shopping alone.....whether it be at a mall or a yard sale! I think you need a creative or personal outlet and take yourself there when you can.

I think a woman needs to admit when she needs help and take action. If its gone on do long that its truly ruining your life, then you need to see a doctor and take a little something for your health and for your family.

Just know most of us battle it. ... You're not alone, mama. (((Hugs)))
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
maciymommieof3
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 9:44 PM

Yep........ I don't know what I would do if I did not have Anxiety!

johnns
by Johnna on Apr. 24, 2013 at 10:02 PM
I'm also there! I remind myself to BREATHE. I was just starting to get good at running a household, now I feel like I'm 4 steps behind, always playing catchup.

Let go, let God!

Its a tough act, no doubt about it!!
blessedhappymom
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 10:11 PM
I had this major panic attack the other night. I felt like I could t breathe and as if I forgot how to breathe. I googled panic attack breathing and found all kinds of techniques. Basically, over everything I read it said that breathing needed to slow down. I did that and watched some vidoes on GodTube and fell asleep.
JTMOM422
by Brenda on Apr. 24, 2013 at 10:13 PM

I suffer anxiety and take meds when they get out of hand. It helps. You may want to talk to your doc about putting you on something. I only take mine in extreme cases though. I try to fight through the anxiety other times. Self talk is very helpful. I will ask myself questions about why I am anxious and then try to find the answer to help me feel better. HUGS momma I know that it can get rough

emarin77
by Silver Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 10:26 PM

How old is your child? Is he in preschool?  Maybe you can visit his class.  That is what my husband and I did to calm our nerves when he started.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)