Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

A rant about a doctor.

Posted by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 11:26 PM
  • 25 Replies

So those of you who have read my other posts know that my daughter Saydi, 2 years old, has Sensory Processing Disorder and is on a waiting list to be evaluated for Autism and other spectrum disorders. She has been having fits much like seizures for the past year (I had no idea what it was until recently) and there is ONE pediatric neurologist in my city. The closest others (who are actually respectable) are either 4 hours away (which would be two day trip, since my daughter doesn't travel well during the day) and the other is in the next state, which her insurance wouldn't cover. 

So. I got a referral to the only pediatric neurologist in town, Dr. Woody. I have heard horror stories of this man. My friend (whose daughter is epileptic) used to see him, but he told her that her daughter was just fine, and proceeded to tell her she shouldn't have any more kids and the problems her daughter was having was because she (the mom) is bipolar. He also told her husband, the girl's father, if he had gotten a paternity test yet (Because the mother and daughter are dark skinned, the father is white). After this, my friend's daughter had such a bad seizure that it screwed up her eyes. She recently had surgery to correct it (this poor girl is two months younger than my daughter). Another mom got the same exact response I did (which i'll get to in a minute) and another is trying to sue him. 

I take my daughter and he doesn't even look at her. He asks me to explain what's going on and proceeds to tell me that my daughter is only acting out because of a bad mix of genes between myself and my fiance. Said that she is most likely experiencing "genital stimulation." He also said that her sleeping problems are a result of a bad mix of genes and that her night terrors are only caused by her father's problems with sleep walking.  First off, he's not a geneticist. Secondly, if anyone has had an orgasm that lasts about 2 minutes, causes you to become paralysed and lose your ability to say words, and makes the left side of your face twitch and spasm (left eye, cheek, and left side of the mouth only), then please, let me know. 

He ordered an EEG to be done (to "humor" me) WITHOUT any kind of sedation and ignores the fact that I try to explain to him because of Saydi's SPD, she won't even put a hat on or get her hearing checked, let alone have a bunch of wires hooked up to her head. His solution? "Well, you're going to have to hold her down then." Yeah. Right. I'll end up getting headbutted, kicked, pinched, and bit in the process. I will be calling the exam technician tomorrow to demand some kind of help with this; I do not want to traumatize my daughter. Thank you for letting me vent. 

by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 11:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lady-J-Rock
by Bronze Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 11:40 PM
1 mom liked this
Whoa I would make a two day trip. I know it's a pita but really no answer other than it's a bad gene and genital stimulation? Where the heck did he get his degree and license from?
SnortysMom
by Cathleen on Apr. 24, 2013 at 11:47 PM
1 mom liked this

I was going to say the same thing -- where did this guy get his degree from? A friggin' happy meal box?!

I'd just make the 2 day trip too. There is no way I'd let my DS see a so-called doctor like that. 

Quoting lady-J-Rock:

Whoa I would make a two day trip. I know it's a pita but really no answer other than it's a bad gene and genital stimulation? Where the heck did he get his degree and license from?

mypbandj
by Jen on Apr. 24, 2013 at 11:50 PM
1 mom liked this
WTF????

Ok that's insane. I will say that I've heard that night terrors do run in families and are also related to sleep walking.

The rest sounds like utter BS.

I agree, make the long trip. Is there a children's hospital you can go to? My friends 18 month old just had an EEG on Monday. They opted to do it in town instead of going to the children's hospital - where they go for their older child. Well she said afterwards that she will never make that mistake again. Children's hospitals are usually so good with kids. That's where I'd go.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RebeccaElaine23
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 11:55 PM

Thank you ladies. I may have to, but I will have to work around my classes... Being a full time college student can be tough in these situations. 

lady-J-Rock
by Bronze Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 11:59 PM
Oh I know. I'm a full time student too. The semester ends in two weeks. I'm counting down the days.

Quoting RebeccaElaine23:

Thank you ladies. I may have to, but I will have to work around my classes... Being a full time college student can be tough in these situations. 

RebeccaElaine23
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 12:10 AM

ohh, lucky! I have an online degree course that's very rigorous. The only scheduled breaks I have are for Christmas. My finals are usually on a Sunday and the new classes start Monday (which is the case for this weekend, it is too late to request time off) My next break won't be until June, where I transition from graduating with my asociate's and moving on to a BA, which is 9 days after my associate's ends. If I do end up going to Albuquerque, I will have to do some planning to shift around my homework which is a pain, but definitely doable. 

Quoting lady-J-Rock:

Oh I know. I'm a full time student too. The semester ends in two weeks. I'm counting down the days.

Quoting RebeccaElaine23:

RebeccaElaine23
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 12:29 AM

http://www.ratemds.com/doctor-ratings/163050/Dr-Robert-Woody-LAS+CRUCEQ-NM.html

Some of these reviews honestly scare me. The girl who died is just awful and horrifying. 

mypbandj
by Jen on Apr. 25, 2013 at 12:45 AM
Wow. Just read that

Quoting RebeccaElaine23:

http://www.ratemds.com/doctor-ratings/163050/Dr-Robert-Woody-LAS+CRUCEQ-NM.html

Some of these reviews honestly scare me. The girl who died is just awful and horrifying. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Tryshx
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 12:49 AM
1 mom liked this
You can stay with us Becks....
RebeccaElaine23
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 12:54 AM

Thank you my cousin! <3

Quoting Tryshx:

You can stay with us Becks....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN