Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Placenta as indicator of future ASD?

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 12:56 AM
  • 3 Replies

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/25/health/study-ties-autism-risk-to-creases-in-placenta.html?_r=0

Interesting read, not really helpful for those of us who have long ago birthed our children but makes me want to know more about what causes creases in the placenta in general.

by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 12:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
Leobaby2007
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 1:10 AM

Now, that's pretty interesting! I gave birth in 2007, and I haven't a clue how wrinkled (or smooth) my placenta was. It will be interesting to see of anything comes of this...

KatyTylersMom
by Silver Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 2:07 AM

Having trouble finding much else out about the defects in the placenta - trophoblastic inclusions - other than they are commonly seen in miscarriages and in placentas from babies with severe genetic defects like trisomy disorders.  One article linked them to low folate which I thought was interesting since folic acid and folate levels being depleted have been linked to an increase in risk of autism.  AND many of our kids do not convert folic acid into folate very well or even AT ALL (something that we, their parents likely also do not do well thanks to faulty genes). 

Anyhow, food for thought.  I seriously doubt any insurance company will ever approve ABA or pre-emptive speech/OT/PT on the basis of "my placenta showed that my kid might be at higher risk for autism".  Hell we can't even get those things covered when the kid is here, with a diagnosis, and screaming for help. 

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Apr. 25, 2013 at 7:19 AM

Very interesting....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)