Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

High functioning procrastinator!

Posted by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 1:46 PM
  • 11 Replies

Anyone else deal with procrastination in their ASD kids?  I swear.... it took my son 3 hours to write 1 paragraph in an email to his teacher yesterday for his homework.... 3 hours.  He's 12!   He's high functioning!  And, she even told him what she wanted in the email.  

He did finally get it done, but my gosh... getting him to do something sometimes is like pulling a tiger's teeth!

by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 1:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Apr. 30, 2013 at 5:31 AM

No experience as my son is very young.  Here's a bump!

loveTHEviking
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 6:33 AM

My DH is a procrastinator. I fear Ian will be just like him lol.... Ian is DH's mini me lol.

brennan5882300
by Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 7:16 AM

Not my ASD ds but my borderline ADHD ds (8 yr old) is!  I hear ya--it's so frustrating!  I don't have an answer--sorry.  Does he get supports (speech, OT, social worker, etc.) at school?  Maybe one of those folks can help or at least point you in a good direction.

mypbandj
by Jen on Apr. 30, 2013 at 9:06 AM
1 mom liked this
Oh yes! Especially when it comes to writing. A simple paragraph takes him forever.

When he was in elementary school and had spelling words, he was expected to put them in sentences. He made it sooo hard because he took every sentence he wrote personally as if they each were being written in an application to some government job!

The word could be 'annoy' and I'd tell him, write 'I like to annoy my sister.' He was like noooooo! Each sentence had to be kind and nice and true. So he'd sit there forever. Gah!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
A_McCool
by Bronze Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 11:04 AM

I am and was always a procrastinator.  I work best when I'm rushed.  If I have too much time, my mind wanders, and I second guess everything that I do.  I'm somewhat of a perfectionist, and if I don't give myself time to ruminate over my work, I do a much better job.  In junior high and high school, I did most of my homework in homeroom, and I would wait until the night before things were due to do most of my large projects. (As an example of how terrible it is, I have now rewritten this short paragraph 4 times (make that 5)).

adreeves
by Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 11:43 AM

YES I know the feeling!! My son is not so much high functioning but trying to get him to learn to read better or do better socially or anything that doesnt have to do with him watching his videos on his computer is hard. He is so stubborn and when you push harder with him he gets slower with responding.devil

emarin77
by Silver Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 1:05 PM

My soon to be 5 year old son is too.  Having stickers and positive reinforcement on Saturdays helps a lot.

TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Apr. 30, 2013 at 9:43 PM

No ,that would be my other two kids!

Bluerose1482
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 10:26 PM

Is he procrastinating or is he having trouble organizing his thoughts to write?

Hottubgodess
by Jackie on May. 1, 2013 at 9:29 AM

Yep.  Writing is a process.  So we make it in short spurts with a huge reward at the end.  :) 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)