Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Evaluation for 11 yo?

Posted by on May. 2, 2013 at 3:23 PM
  • 8 Replies

My 11yo dd has severe behavioral problems and I want her to be evaluated.  What is evaluation like?

by on May. 2, 2013 at 3:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on May. 2, 2013 at 4:01 PM
By the school or someone you have found? The school will watch her in a classroom setting and also test her on several things, also taking teachers reports into account.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on May. 2, 2013 at 7:46 PM

Welcome!  I agree with the comment above:)  Good luck!

Bobcatridge
by Carol on May. 2, 2013 at 9:06 PM

My daughter was officially diagnosed when she was 10.  She is in a private school and we have worked closely with a variety of therapists.  I figured we were dealing with Aspergers fairly early and tried to press the therapist we were seeing at the time for an evaluation.  The problem was this therapist did not specialize in autism spectrum disorders.  We live in a rural area and it is hard to find appropriate therapists.  We went through 3 therapists and two psychiatrists and still no official evaluation and diagnosis - although there was definite recognition that she was on the spectrum.  Finally we started in a social skills group and the therapist recognized my daughter as aspergers and begged us to do the evaluation.  This therapist was part of a group that specializes in Autism Spectrum Disorders.   So my recommendation is to go to a group that specializes in Autism Spectrum Disorders.  We did ASDS (Aspergers Syndrone Diagnosis Scale), SSIS (Social Skills Improvement System), and CARS (Childhood Autism Rating Scale).  Teachers at her school, her therapists, and my husband and I also filled out surveys about her behaviors.  They also observed her. 

mypbandj
by Jen on May. 2, 2013 at 9:08 PM
1 mom liked this
It depends on where you go. It should be a cross between observation and parent report. There would probably be an interview and lots of paperwork. They'd probably also ask the teacher to fill out a behavior checklist.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
takeitall13
by Bronze Member on May. 3, 2013 at 5:18 PM

ours was through a school- no official dx yet.. but it was really nice, laid back-- we did 2 days, first day was PT/OT and second day was speech and psych.. he basically just played while they asked him to "build things" or draw something or stand on one foot, etc-- granted it sounds fun but ds did have a few meltdowns- he likes routine and he likes to be the one in charge, it was very hard for him being told what to do, especially by someone other than myself.  It was all actually very laid back for the most part-- i heard the official dx is kind of the same way- except where we're going its only suppose to be an hour- i guess someone will spend time with neko while the dr and I go over his records and our concerns, etc

dawncs
by Dawn on May. 3, 2013 at 5:39 PM

It is really good that you want her to be evaluated. It can help her get the help she really needs in life with the problems she is having. You might want to check out these websites: http://www.autism-society.org/, http://www.autismspeaks.org/, and http://www.chadd.org/.

Dawn

Group owner of Different Learners Support Group (http://www.cafemom.com/group/118648)

JTMOM422
by Brenda on May. 3, 2013 at 5:57 PM

Sorry momma but my son was 2 when he was evaluated 

kajira
by Emma on May. 3, 2013 at 7:38 PM

I went to a special clinic. We had notes from teachers, but they didn't really care what the school thought, instead they went over family history (I was being diagnosed at the same time as my son.) and did a 2-3 day testing process, that was hours for each of us.

It included IQ tests, behavioral and sensory check lists, previous medical records/diagnoses.. They had watched videos of my son's behavior prior to us making an apt, because I wanted to make sure his behaviors made sense for an autism diagnoses before we paid out of pocket and took a 4 day trip to get diagnosed.

It also included an ADOS test along with observations and all the checklists and other history we filled out.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN