Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Does anyone else do this?

Posted by on May. 4, 2013 at 12:32 PM
  • 11 Replies
1 mom liked this

Yesterday was Field Day at the kids school but they don't have the Autism class participate unless a parent shows up and wants them to. So my husband and I showed up. He took over our 7 y/o daughter who's in 1st grade and I watched over our 8 y/o son who's in 2nd grade. 

They place the kids with average kids in the same grade and they get to do sports activities for 15 minutes taking turns like riding this little bike and tag teaming or relay races, etc.. 

As soon as my son was with those other kids waiting his turn, I started to cry. I become so emotional.. not sure if it's because he's different, I'm afraid he can't do the same thing they can or why? He did fine. He got the idea sort of because he's pretty athletic but he gets bored of just waiting in line and decides to run off, climb fences, etc.. So we only lasted an hour before we took them back to class. It was a 2 hour event. 

Sometimes it can be so emotionally exhausting but I was proud that he actually did what he could and did it pretty well. 

by on May. 4, 2013 at 12:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
elkmomma
by Member on May. 4, 2013 at 1:49 PM
1 mom liked this

SO COOL!!!  It can be so stupidly emotional being a parent of a SN kid.  I can't count how many times I've cried / bawled over "typically normal" things DS does.

amonkeymom
by Amy on May. 4, 2013 at 2:58 PM

Sounds like he did great.

As for the emotions, I think it's normal to feel like that when your kid is able to do something that you weren't sure he ever would.

ZsMommy
by on May. 4, 2013 at 3:02 PM
1 mom liked this

I get emotional too. It's one thing at home where our out of the norm is norm. But when you see our kiddos with the eyes of strangers,you see things differently. Some amazing and some just are emotional cuz you're a mom.

kajira
by Emma on May. 4, 2013 at 3:33 PM

As an adult, I don't know if *I* could handle being at an event like that for 2 hours with out getting bored.... :P but i'm autistic too. haha

Charizma77
by Carissa on May. 4, 2013 at 3:50 PM

I'm surprised they don't have the autism class participate without a parent. My son is part time in the autism support class and part time mainstream so he does all activities with his typical peers and an aid, he shares the aid with another 2nd grader with autism. But I know what you mean sometimes I worry about things like that. Ashton is actually pretty athletic but sometimes he just doesn't want to do what everyone else is doing. Like sports, if he feels like it he participates if not he wants nothing to do with it so we don't have him on any teams this year.

glad it went well :)

GOBryan
by on May. 4, 2013 at 3:54 PM
1 mom liked this

The teacher says that it would be too difficult to handle the children around the other kids so they are separated. There is an Autism class with kids that are better behaved and I think they may have participated but my son's class has some pretty difficult children much worse than mine. The teacher is great and has 3 other assistants for a class of 10. If my son would behave then they'd be able to assign him to the lighter class but he likes to run off and do his own thing. As far as intelligence, they say he's pretty much a genius and very athletic but we're trying to get him to learn better control and patience. 

Quoting Charizma77:

I'm surprised they don't have the autism class participate without a parent. My son is part time in the autism support class and part time mainstream so he does all activities with his typical peers and an aid, he shares the aid with another 2nd grader with autism. But I know what you mean sometimes I worry about things like that. Ashton is actually pretty athletic but sometimes he just doesn't want to do what everyone else is doing. Like sports, if he feels like it he participates if not he wants nothing to do with it so we don't have him on any teams this year.

glad it went well :)

lucasmadre
by Kari on May. 4, 2013 at 5:33 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes, mom. I get emotional all the time about things my son can and can not do. I get emotional when I am proud, frustrated, happy, sad, it is an emotional road raising children. I think it just shows how much you care about him, how much he means to you, how much you hope for him in the future...XO good work mom :)

SAMI_JO
by on May. 4, 2013 at 5:40 PM

My son doesn't sweat at all! So he doesn't get to participate in field day or special olympics. He has to sit inside with someone or I just don't send him that day and we do something together.

TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on May. 5, 2013 at 7:09 AM
1 mom liked this

OK, thank you for making me cry so early this morning!LOL!

Emotionally, I'm always a wreck at school. Whether he joined right in or sat all alone, it doesn't matter. But it always does a mama's heart good to see her kids doing something the other kids are doing. A minute of "normalcy" is a tear jerker for sure!

Jaimielorai
by Bronze Member on May. 5, 2013 at 7:10 AM
1 mom liked this

My husband and I do the same thing, we use to volunteer on all trips and we would get other kids as well!  I use to have this one young man who was the runner.  I use to do track so I could grab and scope him up real quick.  His parents actually became friends of ours when they found out there child was able to participate.  My husband is also a Professional Ref and volunteers with kids and sport so we would put our son in all sorts of things, come to find out many of the young kids have ADHD and tandrum are all over and meltdowns!  This age is key to put your kids in these types of things because children learn from each other in speech and behavior, good and bad!  My son made so many friends and used his words more and came out of his shell.  My boss told me later she used tae quan Do with her son and it did wonders for his self estem and it gives us so much hope for their future!  Good Job MoM

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN