Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Leave the house?

Posted by on May. 13, 2013 at 8:14 AM
Jen
  • 21 Replies
Lately, ds (almost 3), will just leave the house to go outside and play. All by himself. Even if he's naked! I have to keep the screen door locked or else without warning, he will be gone! Have your kids ever done that? I don't remember my older kids ever doing that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 13, 2013 at 8:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Rosebud27aj
by Amanda on May. 13, 2013 at 8:17 AM

My youngest who is 3 also does the same thing, naked even too...we keep our screen door locked. My oldest never did that. They are both autistic.

GOBryan
by on May. 13, 2013 at 8:18 AM

My 7 year old daughter does just that. Naked and all. She'll unlock the door and just go out and play, go swimming, etc. She is a nightmare. If the front door isn't monitored, she'll do the same in the front. She the kind that likes to go exploring but won't answer if called. She doesn't understand danger. 

We have to have multiple locks on the doors and the alarm sensor on or we wouldn't have a clue that she's gone. 

SnowWhieQueen
by Member on May. 13, 2013 at 8:28 AM

yes my son who is now 10 would just take off like that many times a day when he was around 4....i would keep the door locked and he would push a chair up and unlock it or go out a window upstairs....my ds thats younger then him started to do this too now...(hes 6)  but mostly if i take him to a store or some place hell just leave...both of them have pdd...my oldest  2 never have taken off...and i hope the baby never does cuz its real scary

girl_incognito
by on May. 13, 2013 at 9:25 AM

Yes... not naked though... he was 2.5 when he started doing it, I felt like the worst mom in the world. He would sneak out in the early morning hours, he could even get the locks I installed on our door open (we live in an old mobile home so I didn't have a lot of options, the door swung out not in.). I even tied the door to a piece of furniture and he still got it open. he would go next door to his nanny's. Thank goodness we lived in the country though.

As he aged we moved into a house... I started using alarms then.

Charizma77
by Carissa on May. 13, 2013 at 9:26 AM

Yes! We have always had that issue with Ashton. Now that he's 8 he finally asks first so I haven't had to keep the doors locked. But h has gone out in his barefeet when it's chilly and came back in wondering why his feet were cold, silly boy. 

Koltie6
by Bronze Member on May. 13, 2013 at 9:35 AM
Yea! When he was 4 and he got in our pool. We installed locks high up like in a hotel room. He is six now and no longer does this.
MistyMoo
by Bronze Member on May. 13, 2013 at 9:43 AM
1 mom liked this
No, but my son has locked me out a few times.. I brought the dog just outside the door to pee and I'd go to get back in and the door is locked -_- after the first time I started bringing keys out with me.
BKozICan
by Member on May. 13, 2013 at 9:45 AM

Both my NT and asd kiddos did it. We also had the "hotel door" locks for years. ASD kiddo is now not trying to do it as much.

takeitall13
by on May. 13, 2013 at 10:14 AM

neko will if hes told we're about to go somewhere.... he can unlock our door too.. we might need to invest in a high up place chain soon.

Chirinos
by Member on May. 13, 2013 at 11:33 AM
Both of my boys would take off outside I ended up having to put locks up towards the top of the doors where they couldn't reach cuz otherwise they knew how to unlock the door. It sucked but I always had to be one step ahead of them.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)