Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Do your kids have tics?

Posted by on May. 15, 2013 at 5:23 PM
Jen
  • 17 Replies

My friend came to visit me today. She has a son with Tourette's and we were talking about his tics. Well I pointed out to her how my ds (almost 3) does things like hand flapping and flicking his ear (sometimes he does them together and sometimes just one or the other) and I asked her if she thought they were tics. She kind of brushed me off saying, don't most toddlers have tics? And I was like, in all my 10 yrs of working in early childhood I have never heard of it but what do I know?

Then later, she brings something else up. She's like, I don't know about the hand flapping or flicking of the ear but that thing he does with his head looks like a tic. And I'm like, what thing with his head?? She says, when he shakes his head (like saying no) while on the floor.

I wasn't sure what she meant so I started to watch and pay attention and sure enough - he IS shaking his head while playing on the floor. So now something else for me to watch for.

Do your ASD kids have tics? Do tics get associated with ASD or with something else? Opinions?

Oh the other thing hes been doing lately is running up to me and saying "mommy best friend" as he grabs my arm. At first it was adorable! And he did get a lot of attention for it. But as the days and weeks of it going on, I'm noticing that he's really doing it TO me. Not with me if that makes sense. He will just be playing and then out of the blue, he runs up and does it and then goes straight back to what he was doing. And i've stopped giving him attention for it. Not sure what that is all about. 

by on May. 15, 2013 at 5:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
darbyakeep45
by Darby on May. 15, 2013 at 6:48 PM

Every time you post about him, he sounds SO stinkin' cute!  Love it!

Brady stems a lot, flaps his arms, bounces, spins around, but I don't think he has any tics.

mariat2
by Maria on May. 15, 2013 at 7:02 PM
Yes my son has a few they come and go at first he did eye blinking at 2 yrs old then it was a vocal tic,the last one was he would jerk his head back.I don't think hand flapping is a tic though but Im not an expert.
mypbandj
by Jen on May. 15, 2013 at 7:48 PM
Yeah, I'm sure hand flapping isn't but I was just asking. who knows. Lol

Quoting mariat2:

Yes my son has a few they come and go at first he did eye blinking at 2 yrs old then it was a vocal tic,the last one was he would jerk his head back.I don't think hand flapping is a tic though but Im not an expert.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Rosebud27aj
by Amanda on May. 15, 2013 at 7:52 PM

My oldest...no, my youngest...I'm not sure what you consider a tic...he flaps his hands, claps his hands all the time, shakes his head no all the time, spins, jumps all the time....I don't think those are tics though..

VioletsMomTown
by on May. 15, 2013 at 8:06 PM

Violet doesn't have any tics, I don't think every toddler does, like your friend said. Its probably just her experience. I know kids can get tics from PANDAS, or tourettes, my nephew has ADHD and he did have some as a young kid, he'd clear his throat and sniff all the time, and you ask him if he's stuffed up and he wasn't. I don't know, keep an eye open I guess. I wouldn't call the grabbing of your arm and the "mommy best friend" a tic, but I know Violet does get stuck on certain phrases like that sometimes. If it makes you feel any better, she grows out of it pretty quick too, its a few weeks and she's onto a new favorite phrase or action.

Violet's Mom

Twitter @autismnotebook

mypbandj
by Jen on May. 15, 2013 at 8:30 PM
Is PANDAS an infection?? I have a friend, she's an OT, and she learned about some infection that can cause ASD symptoms. I think she called it PANDAS???

Quoting VioletsMomTown:

Violet doesn't have any tics, I don't think every toddler does, like your friend said. Its probably just her experience. I know kids can get tics from PANDAS, or tourettes, my nephew has ADHD and he did have some as a young kid, he'd clear his throat and sniff all the time, and you ask him if he's stuffed up and he wasn't. I don't know, keep an eye open I guess. I wouldn't call the grabbing of your arm and the "mommy best friend" a tic, but I know Violet does get stuck on certain phrases like that sometimes. If it makes you feel any better, she grows out of it pretty quick too, its a few weeks and she's onto a new favorite phrase or action.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
VioletsMomTown
by on May. 15, 2013 at 8:58 PM

Pediatric. Autoimmune. Neuropsychiatric. Disorders. Associated. w/ Strep.

Here is a link (link)

They are finding some kids diagnosed with autism actually have PANDAS. Its still pretty new science.

Quoting mypbandj:

Is PANDAS an infection?? I have a friend, she's an OT, and she learned about some infection that can cause ASD symptoms. I think she called it PANDAS???

Quoting VioletsMomTown:

Violet's Mom

Twitter @autismnotebook

mypbandj
by Jen on May. 15, 2013 at 9:28 PM
Yep. That's exactly what she was talking about!

Quoting VioletsMomTown:

Pediatric. Autoimmune. Neuropsychiatric. Disorders. Associated. w/ Strep.

Here is a link (link)

They are finding some kids diagnosed with autism actually have PANDAS. Its still pretty new science.

Quoting mypbandj:

Quoting VioletsMomTown:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JTMOM422
by Brenda on May. 15, 2013 at 10:30 PM

No ds doesn't have tics. At least I can't think of any but you have me wondering now.  Lol. 

Emarchio
by on Jul. 30, 2013 at 6:35 PM

My daughter had tics and the thing that the neurologist said to me that just made me cringe was that tics are the new 'normal' 1 in 20 kids ages 7-11 will develop tics and they 'hope' that it will go away at puberty! Are you kidding!! So we opted not to accept the meds he offered and went with a natural product we got from our medical doctor that practices naturally. She has been on the product now for 11 mos and her tics are 90% gone; she only gets them now when she is stressing about school. 

But the new statistic has me frustrated!! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN