Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Does it sound like I have autism?

Posted by on May. 18, 2013 at 8:10 PM
  • 22 Replies
1 mom liked this

The more I read about autism the more I'm like "OMG that would answer so many questions about my childhood and about how I am now"

I softly rock back and forth when I'm sitting down and have since I was a small kid. I snap my fingers really really really fast over and over again. When I was younger I used to flex my fingers kinda like playing the piano but not has 'hard'. I have a hard time with eye contact. I can't read social clues . I have a hard time making friends. I have a hard time keeping friends. When I'm in the store I touch all the fabrics as I pass by. I have difficulties starting and continuing conversations. When I have obsessions I have a one track mind. It's all I want to do and talk about. I don't like talking about things I'm not interested in. When I was in elementary school kids wanted me to play with them and I would sit off to myself. My teacher tried to get me to play with them and my parents sent me to a therapist because of it. I lied and just counted off my classmates and said we were friends though. I was embarrassed. I don't like social situations when I'm outnumbered. I don't even like family get togethers.

Should I talk to my doctor about autism?

by on May. 18, 2013 at 8:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kajira
by Emma on May. 18, 2013 at 8:24 PM

I did, and got diagnosed as an adult, I totally think that you should if you think having answers will make your life better to know.

A_McCool
by Bronze Member on May. 18, 2013 at 8:35 PM

If you think you might be autistic, then I would totally advise you to talk to someone about it.  It is nice to now have it confirmed so I know I'm not imagining things.

TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on May. 18, 2013 at 8:43 PM

I don't know...but it wouldnt hurt to see a doctor about it!

VioletsMomTown
by Robyn on May. 18, 2013 at 8:43 PM

Take this test (link)

girl_incognito
by on May. 18, 2013 at 8:58 PM

I'm going to be evaluated soon (I hope)... it's not unlikely... autism is genetic.

Batmansmamma
by on May. 18, 2013 at 9:17 PM

I got a 38. I don't see a socring chart..what scores are what results.

Quoting VioletsMomTown:

Take this test (link)

VioletsMomTown
by Robyn on May. 18, 2013 at 9:19 PM

It says right at the beginning of the test. If you score over 32, then it could be considered mild autism. Its not a "formal" test, but I would say you could be on the spectrum.

Quoting Batmansmamma:

Quoting VioletsMomTown:

Take this test (link)

Violet's Mom

Twitter @autismnotebook

Charizma77
by Carissa on May. 18, 2013 at 9:23 PM

I agree

Quoting TheJerseyGirl:

I don't know...but it wouldnt hurt to see a doctor about it!

JTMOM422
by Brenda on May. 18, 2013 at 9:36 PM

I took the test and scored a 35. I have also wondered if I couldn't have it. but then again who knows since I have recentely started suffering social anxiety in the last 3 years. I never had this issue as a child. But I hum without even realizing I am doing it at times. Drove my family crazy when I was younger. I had friends but would rather have played alone in my room. I have a fascination with numbers. I love adding a long line of numbers. I am sensitive to certain lights and sounds. 

Quoting Batmansmamma:

Quoting VioletsMomTown:

Take this test (link)

JennaPBug
by Bronze Member on May. 18, 2013 at 9:52 PM
1 mom liked this
You just described my exact childhood! Although, I did get labeled as "mentally disturbed" in high school. I just don't see the point in getting tested now though, I've already proved able to hold down a job. How would the label change your life?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)