Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Our intial IEP actually went well...

Posted by on May. 20, 2013 at 9:21 AM
  • 9 Replies

My HF ASD son turns 3 tomorrow and we had our initial IEP last week.  He'd had a pretty bad day when they did his evauation but I was still surprised that they offered what they did.  Supposedly, our school system is extremely hard to get anything out of but they actually offered more services than we were getting with early intervention.   Granted they aren't offering any services till school starts in the fall but we were figuring that much.  I'm very happy that we were able to start out on a good foot because I know not everyone has a good experience. 

by on May. 20, 2013 at 9:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
girl_incognito
by on May. 20, 2013 at 12:34 PM

I'm glad it went well :)

Rosebud27aj
by Amanda on May. 20, 2013 at 12:35 PM

Glad it went well....

mypbandj
by Jen on May. 20, 2013 at 4:19 PM

What are you getting? My son turns three next week and his IEP meeting was today. He's only getting speech though. They felt he did well enough to not need anything else at this time. 

KatyTylersMom
by Silver Member on May. 20, 2013 at 4:40 PM

I swear your son could be my daughter - the public schools started her off with just speech as well until we pursued a diagnosis on our own when she was about 3.5.  The school did at least give your son the full eval period so I have more confidence that your son is doing well!  All they gave katy was a 45 minute observation with a speech therapist at our local elementary school.  And then we gave them a nice lawsuit and they gave her a full preschool program (4 days a week 3 hours a day), social skills classes (1 hour a week), and speech (30 min twice a week).  :)

My son who is not nearly so verbal as my daughter is just finishing his 3 week in-class eval this week and his IEP is on the 10th of June.  I susupect he'll get the 4 day a week 5 hour a day program (3 hours of class and then 2 hours of play skills) plus speech.  And then we still have our 10 hour a week ABA program at home and 2 hours of private-pay speech therapy. Good thing he loves his therapies! 

Quoting mypbandj:

What are you getting? My son turns three next week and his IEP meeting was today. He's only getting speech though. They felt he did well enough to not need anything else at this time. 

KatyTylersMom
by Silver Member on May. 20, 2013 at 4:46 PM

Just an FYI I'm pretty sure all schools have to offer a summer program if the student has a significant risk of regression during school breaks.  One little boy in our neighborhood goes to the early intervention preschool with my daughter and while our school is "year round" they take 3 week breaks at easter, june, september, and christmas and he gets basically half-days during all those breaks so that he doesn't regress and flip out at the change in routine.  So I think he has 1 week off and then 2 weeks of partial school, and while he is quite autistic in that he doesn't speak and has a lot of behavior issues related to his rituals and need for sameness, he is by no means anywhere near the most serverely affected child with autism I have met. 

So it might be worth looking into what options your school district offers for summer programs for kids with autism. I never trust a school district who comes bearing gifts... makes me think that they had 10 other potentially beneficial programs they chose not to mention.  :)

JTMOM422
by Brenda on May. 20, 2013 at 4:51 PM

So glad to hear it went so well

mypbandj
by Jen on May. 20, 2013 at 6:28 PM

He was very anxious the first two weeks but they reported it as him being "happy." I had to set that record straight today. They did admit that they didn't know him and that I knew better than they did. This is exactlyl why I stood there every single day and watched. If I hadn't there would have been NO way I could have told them they were wrong. So while he played w/ their toys and "coped" I don't think he was his normal self at all. I don't feel they got a good picture of who Liam really is. But I will admit, 8 half days in a classroom is by FAR better than one 45 minute appointment!

Quoting KatyTylersMom:

I swear your son could be my daughter - the public schools started her off with just speech as well until we pursued a diagnosis on our own when she was about 3.5.  The school did at least give your son the full eval period so I have more confidence that your son is doing well!  All they gave katy was a 45 minute observation with a speech therapist at our local elementary school.  And then we gave them a nice lawsuit and they gave her a full preschool program (4 days a week 3 hours a day), social skills classes (1 hour a week), and speech (30 min twice a week).  :)

My son who is not nearly so verbal as my daughter is just finishing his 3 week in-class eval this week and his IEP is on the 10th of June.  I susupect he'll get the 4 day a week 5 hour a day program (3 hours of class and then 2 hours of play skills) plus speech.  And then we still have our 10 hour a week ABA program at home and 2 hours of private-pay speech therapy. Good thing he loves his therapies! 

Quoting mypbandj:

darbyakeep45
by Darby on May. 20, 2013 at 6:58 PM

Wow...good to hear mama!  

TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on May. 21, 2013 at 6:03 AM
I'm so happy it went well!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)