Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Outside activities for your kid this summer

Posted by on May. 24, 2013 at 11:58 AM
  • 23 Replies
1 mom liked this
Anybody got any ideas on what to get your kid into this summer? My aspie 8 yr old is a gamer, that's mainly all he does. He doesn't like to ride his scooter that he's had for yrs. He doesn't play well with the other kids in the neighborhood. He doesn't like getting splashed at the pool. He didn't like getting up for art camp, he only went for a couple days this spring break. I didn't sign him up for summer classes after all of that and his behavior at school this past month. He said if I got him a pool to put in the yard that he would go outside and sit in it but he didn't want to get splashed. I just don't know what to do because he overweight and a picky eater and doesn't like to go outside. I've been making him go walking with me around the track a couple times a week, but he hates it. Help please? :)
by on May. 24, 2013 at 11:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
amonkeymom
by Amy on May. 24, 2013 at 2:15 PM

Will he ride a bike?  Maybe do some chalk art or maybe you can help him build a fort or something.

Mi_Chelly
by Bronze Member on May. 24, 2013 at 2:23 PM
1 mom liked this

I am setting up our pool (he hates being splashed at and going under the water, but he loves being in the pool), he will have the slip-n-slide also. There will be trips to the zoo, a the aquarium. But for everyday play, he LOVES the hammack and he spends hours on it with his ipad. I don't mind that so much. It is really windy here, so he doesn't even need to rock himself, the wind does that for him lol. He doesn't ride a bike, so that is out, but I will probably have him learn to walk our dog and go for daily walks with me. I keep the back yard locked, so he can wander and play around there. 

jacobnatesmom
by on May. 24, 2013 at 2:38 PM
1 mom liked this

Mine will be spending most of his time in the pool... he loves to swim and play in the pool with his brother.  But we will also be going for walks and going to the playground.  He's scared of bugs, so it can be interesting at times....lol.

JTMOM422
by Platinum Member on May. 24, 2013 at 3:07 PM
1 mom liked this

We are going to set up a pool. Ds loves to be outside so I really don't have this issue

johnns
by on May. 25, 2013 at 6:29 AM
I was thinking of a kiddy pool, Sally is obsessed with water! I live in a 'hollor', so everything is down hill. I'm hoping to move somewhere flat- never thought I would say that, but she could use a swing set. She's a runner, hard to keep her close to me. Love's being outside, but doesn't like our walks, play, anything to end. Can be a real problem sometimes.
JP-StrongForTwo
by on May. 25, 2013 at 6:38 AM

We live in arizona :( so our options are VERY limited. 

But Going to the gym together to swim, on a weekday in the morning isnt bad, as everyone else is at work. 

NT kids i would suggest malls and such. but our kids dont always respond well to that, but if you think he would, i would go for it. 

Does he play world of warcraft? what kind of games does he play? 

Would he be interested in the Renaissance fair? or some LARPing (live action role play) 

Ajisai43
by Bronze Member on May. 25, 2013 at 7:56 AM
2 moms liked this

Maybe you could look into geocaching? It is sort of like a game, I guess, and you follow coordinates on a handheld PS device to track down treasures others have left.  That could combine exercise along with use of a computer? Just a thought.  I haven't tried it myself but I have friends who do it every chance they get!

she-ra2000
by on May. 25, 2013 at 7:28 PM

Quoting amonkeymom:

Will he ride a bike?  Maybe do some chalk art or maybe you can help him build a fort or something.

He doesn't like or really know how. he had one a few yrs ago and we tried to teach him. He didn't really like it. I even bought him a scooter since then and he's afraid to ride it. He doesn't like to the motion or being up off he ground. He doesn't like the swings or anything that takes him up high. The chalk thing is a good idea though, thanks :)
she-ra2000
by on May. 25, 2013 at 7:35 PM
no he doesn't pay warcraft, but my hubby used to, lol. He plays pirate 101 and he has Nintendo ds games. I just want to get him outside more. And with his picky diet, he's on the heavy side. I'll probably still get a little pool and maybe a bike if I can afford it :( We've already been going for walks when I'm off in the evenings, so about 2 or 3 times a week. I have to make him cause he hates it.
Quoting JP-StrongForTwo:

We live in arizona :( so our options are VERY limited. 

But Going to the gym together to swim, on a weekday in the morning isnt bad, as everyone else is at work. 

NT kids i would suggest malls and such. but our kids dont always respond well to that, but if you think he would, i would go for it. 

Does he play world of warcraft? what kind of games does he play? 

Would he be interested in the Renaissance fair? or some LARPing (live action role play) 

MommaHubbard
by on May. 25, 2013 at 10:31 PM
1 mom liked this

Maybe you could try walking in a park or a nature center. Or a museum or even the mall (if your ds doesn't mind crowds-mine does so, the mall's no good for us). But if you could make it a kind-of scavenger hunt, a game outside (like geocaching, bird-watching, bug-hunting, finding an object of each color of the rainbow on your walk, etc.) My ds with ASD isn't that into games yet but my eldest nuerotypical dd is. She would LOVE the idea of making it a game. Or you might have more luck making it into some kind-of competition. See who can climb the most stairs, find te most rocks/shells, etc. Good luck Momma!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)