Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Something interesting we have to journal about and wonder if anyone can relate

Posted by on May. 29, 2013 at 1:40 PM
  • 13 Replies

Last week at speech therapy Ashton was asked to compare 2 crayons. They were both brown and one was fat and one was thin. when asked to compare what was the same and what was different, this is what he said. He said they were both toy story movies but one was a DVD and one was VHS. He would not say crayons even though he knows that's what they are. He is 8.5 and verbal but this is common for him to change  things to fit into his interests. Toy story is one of his obsessions.

so, his speech pathologist has us journaling when he does this and I didn't realize just how often he changes things to fit his interests. I got so used to knowing what he was doing that I didn't pay attention. It's almost like its game. I'm sure people who don't know him have no idea what he is talking about. I hope his therapists give us some good ideas to break this. He has a new pathologist and this is the first time in 5 years of speech that this was brought up. 

Anyone else have a similar experience?

by on May. 29, 2013 at 1:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KatyTylersMom
by on May. 29, 2013 at 2:32 PM

My daughter could not answer those kind of "how are the the same/different" questions, that was one of the red flags at her evaluations which lead to her PDD-NOS diagnosis.  She could say that both were crayons or both were brown but the concept of how they were different or the same (when they were different objects, say a silver spoon and a silver candlestick) was completely beyond her. 

Charizma77
by Carissa on May. 29, 2013 at 2:49 PM

When Ashton was younger he couldn't either but he can now but he chooses to change things to what he wants them to be. He looked at the crayons and the smaller one reminded him of his toy story dvd and the bigger one of his toy story VCR tape. His pathologist is so intrigued by him and the way his mind works. While he is talking he can change things to fit his interests.  I don't know how to break him of it. It's like he lives in 2 worlds. Some days he would answer the question  about the crayons the way he should, not sure why other times he doesn't. Every therapist we've had told me that he was a hard one to figure out.  Journaling this should be interesting!

Quoting KatyTylersMom:

My daughter could not answer those kind of "how are the the same/different" questions, that was one of the red flags at her evaluations which lead to her PDD-NOS diagnosis.  She could say that both were crayons or both were brown but the concept of how they were different or the same (when they were different objects, say a silver spoon and a silver candlestick) was completely beyond her. 

Mi_Chelly
by Bronze Member on May. 29, 2013 at 2:52 PM
My son has always done this, primarily fitting everyday things into Cars characters or Transformer characters. He has gotten a bit better at it, but still does this.
blessedhappymom
by on May. 29, 2013 at 2:55 PM
Yup, the same here for my son. Why, how and open ended questions are difficult for him.

Quoting KatyTylersMom:

Charizma77
by Carissa on May. 29, 2013 at 3:03 PM

Ashton's are usually his Pixar movie characters but glad he's not the only one that does this.

Quoting Mi_Chelly:

My son has always done this, primarily fitting everyday things into Cars characters or Transformer characters. He has gotten a bit better at it, but still does this.

Mi_Chelly
by Bronze Member on May. 29, 2013 at 3:10 PM
I had many meetings with his first speech therapist about her trying to do farm machinery and he kept calling the equipment characters from Cars. I told her, he knows what it is, he knows what they do, but like everything in his life, he gives it a name that he can relate to. If you say it's actual name, he can point it out, so give him time to out grow the characters.... His current therapist likes that he does this and encourages it,since it has been helping younger kids understand and recognize stuff. He is 9 and going into the 5th grade. Time will tell what his new therapist will say.
Charizma77
by Carissa on May. 29, 2013 at 3:16 PM

Ashton will sometimes refer to us (our family) as characters too. For a long time we were the Incredibles.. We thought it was cute t the time but now I wonder if his therapists are getting concerned that he is doing it. It's great that your son has a therapist that encourages it. 

Quoting Mi_Chelly:

I had many meetings with his first speech therapist about her trying to do farm machinery and he kept calling the equipment characters from Cars. I told her, he knows what it is, he knows what they do, but like everything in his life, he gives it a name that he can relate to. If you say it's actual name, he can point it out, so give him time to out grow the characters.... His current therapist likes that he does this and encourages it,since it has been helping younger kids understand and recognize stuff. He is 9 and going into the 5th grade. Time will tell what his new therapist will say.

VioletsMomTown
by on May. 29, 2013 at 3:48 PM
1 mom liked this

Violet went through a time with her PECS where we would ask her "Violet, what's this?" when she would hand it to us. Say it was a drink. She would say "a wolf?" and then she'd say "no, that's not a wolf, that's a drink!" lol. She had an alternate animal name for all her cards. It was kind of funny, we don't know where she got it from. I think it shows good imagination, and sense of humor. She doesn't do it anymore, I think she was getting bored of the cards, she's not using them at home anymore, she uses her words now.

SnortysMom
by Cathleen on May. 29, 2013 at 3:49 PM
1 mom liked this

I've never noticed if Aidan did anything like that. Now I'm going to pay closer attention to his speech today. 

darbyakeep45
by Darby on May. 29, 2013 at 6:22 PM

My son is nonverbal...good story though!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)