Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What were your first signs of autism in your child?

Posted by on May. 29, 2013 at 10:08 PM
  • 24 Replies
My daughter is three. She started talking well around 2, but now she goes into episodes of total non-verbal communications: grunting, squealing, shrieking. It can happen when she is playing and having fun, when she is nervous or uncomfortable, or when she is angry and upset.

There are times when she acts out violently. She becomes enraged, arches her back and shakes her head back and forth quickly seemingly without reason.

She is not our first child and I have never experienced anything even close to this with our other kids. I am just wondering if her behaviors are "red flags" that I need to address within the context of autism. I am hoping that you ladies can give me any insights or direction regarding dd. thank you so much.
by on May. 29, 2013 at 10:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
by on May. 29, 2013 at 10:38 PM
3 moms liked this

no eye contact or reaction when I called her name at 6 mos

by on May. 30, 2013 at 2:31 AM
My son was achieving pretty much all his milestones up until around 24 months when he was not speaking any words yet and walking on his tippy toes.
by Darby on May. 30, 2013 at 5:41 AM

My son never hit milestones...from gross motor to social to all of it.  He didn't sit up until 9 months old, crawled at 15 months old and walked at 3 years old.  He is now almost 5 and still nonverbal.  He would sit and play with the same toy for hours as a baby/toddler.  He would spin in circles while looking out of the corners of his eyes.  He stems all the time and squeals as well.

by on May. 30, 2013 at 5:44 AM
My son was severely developmentally delayed from birth, seemed to stare into space, didn't respond to noises....he was finally diagnosed at 2 1/2. At 10yrs old his diagnosis was changed to Aspergers.
by Bronze Member on May. 30, 2013 at 5:53 AM

15 month old checkup-milestones of having no words yet,and not pointing.  Looking back,sensory.  as soon as he could scoot he would "scratch" the wall,door,wallpaper,wood.  freaked out at age 1 when placed in the grass.  He never "regressed" but was always developmentally delayed. He was very colicky w/gerd as an infant. He is 6yo now and reading,writing,made a lot of progress!

by Bronze Member on May. 30, 2013 at 7:05 AM
1 mom liked this

Ds had a couple words but lost them at 15 months.  He went in for 18 month visit with no words, no gestures, couldn't point, didn't babble, doesn't respond to his name,  constantly spinning in circles, no eye contact, no joint play, no imaginary play.  

He is almost 3 now and has about 3 signs he uses, you can coax him to look in your eyes, . He can point to objects with help, and finally has a word! The word me. 

by on May. 30, 2013 at 7:11 AM
About a year. He would play with shiny things car keys or the same toys that lit up and spinned. He had words and talked well for two months and stopped. He would rock spin and flick his hands. His dr didn't think he was so I videoed him doing all these strange behaviors and got referred to a psychologist. He was diagnosed pdd-nos showing signs of aspergers. He's 3 and now he repeats the same stories and can't be still or he flicks while he talks. His "dad" has aspergers but I didn't know until my son got diagnosed which would of made things easier and I would of tried harder in our relationship but I have it a good 3 yrs lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 30, 2013 at 7:20 AM
By age two, lost words and actions he had done previously. Never turned or responded to his name. No pointing. Extremely picky with food. Hand flapping. Obsession with trains and ONLY trains. Preferred to play alone and never engaged other children.
by on May. 30, 2013 at 8:00 AM

The biggest "red flag" was her not talking. 

However, the other one that was pretty big was when you would call her name she wouldn't look at you or react at all, even to loud noises - for a while we thought she had a hearing problem.. My Dad always said "Diane, it's like she's deaf".

She also didn't like to interact with other kids and would get fixated on one toy. 

by on May. 30, 2013 at 8:45 AM

My son was born with "red flags" as he refused to be held and he had a dairy intolerance. A few months later he failed to develop stranger and separation anxiety. By his first birthday he started arm flapping and soothing with objects instead of people. At that point he was referred to early intervention and we learned that he already had a speech and cognitive delay. Now it's nearly a year later, many typical "red flags" have surfaced and he is up to a year delayed in every area of development, and still non-verbal. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)