Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

General question: What type of stimming do your children do?

Posted by on May. 31, 2013 at 3:02 PM
  • 13 Replies

And when are they inclined to do them? just curious...
I find myself having a difficult time distinguishing between stimming and sensory seeking.

by on May. 31, 2013 at 3:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kajira
by Emma on May. 31, 2013 at 4:22 PM

I sing to myself, I hum, I flap, I've been known to doodle the same design over and over again, rip up pieces of paper while talking on the phone to help me focus better, I scroll my mouse wheel repetatively, I rub my fingers together, I rub circles on my thigh, I jiggle my legs, I chew on stuff, like hoodie strings, and occasionally gum when I can remember to stick it in my mouth so I don't chew on my clothes. I repetatively pet my animals - most of my stim and sensory stuff, i've tried really hard to make it work in a normal life so it doesn't stick out too bad, and is semi-functional. I do so many things it's hard to make a complete list. I stim in the shower when I bath, to both remember my steps, and to deal with the sensory stuff because I don't always like hwo the water feels and some days I'm more sensitive to it hitting my body then other days. 

A lot of it has to do with how I feel, what i'm doing, how much stimulation is going on around me, etc.

lucasmadre
by Kari on May. 31, 2013 at 9:09 PM

My little guy smells his fingers, flaps, hops, repeats himself, and generally wiggles at all times :) He does these things when he is nervous, tired, relaxing after a long day, excited or happy. For him his sensory seeking is more like rubbing his face on soft stuff, not liking foods based on their texture, hating having his hair brushed etc.

Hope this helps....XO

Mom2Seb
by Member on Jun. 1, 2013 at 12:20 AM

My son spins wheels on cars, twirls around, hums, sings, flaps (when mad), other stuff that I think are just normal antsy stuff.  He also lacks proprioceptive input so he does a lot of rubbing his fave on us, hugging and kissing us and others a lot.

I also have a tendency to rock back and forth when I am standing in one spot, I bounce one knee all the time when sitting, and I rub things (pencil, cell phone, etc.) constantly in meetings... I consider this stuff my way of concentrating and calming.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jun. 1, 2013 at 7:25 PM

My son spins in circles, rocks back and forth, squeals, screams, flaps his arms.

JTMOM422
by Platinum Member on Jun. 1, 2013 at 10:30 PM

my son stims by running in circles or making sounds. When he is sensory seeking he touches my face with his face or hands or pours out liquids

Noahs-Mom
by Silver Member on Jun. 2, 2013 at 1:19 PM

my oldest doesn't stim.

My youngest will hop flap and lay on his tummy with his hands down south and rock back and forth

mamaboys0207
by on Jun. 2, 2013 at 1:22 PM

My son will repeat sounds, rub his hands together, jump/hop, sing, and gets very fidgity, it really just depends on what he is doing at the time and where he is.

emarin77
by Gold Member on Jun. 2, 2013 at 2:00 PM
1 mom liked this

Stimming is a behavior pattern that anyone can have.  It is part of who they are.  One who flaps the hand to another that bites their nails.  Sensory seeking is activily looking for stimulus in the environment.  This includes listening, touching, eating, or smelling something in the environment. 

shortykay87
by on Jun. 2, 2013 at 6:55 PM

My daughter flaps her hands alot, if she is excited, nervous, or scared.  She also grinds her teeth alot and usually will smelll things alot of times especially food before she will eat it.  My daughter hates to have her hair brused and has to rub a certain blanket before going to sleep.

lovespeaks6143
by on Jun. 2, 2013 at 7:06 PM
my son hand flaps,always makes like mice noises...lol I know a bit odd,he talks super fast when he gets excited or upset,he also loves to draw zebras,all day, I have some many pictures of them,lol he loves numbers,counts everything.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)