Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Keeping the Autistic Runner Safe

Posted by on May. 31, 2013 at 6:16 PM
  • 22 Replies
1 mom liked this

This is a topic that no onehas brought up, but I have personal experience with it and it is more exhausting than ever!

Keeping the Autistic Runner Safe

The Eloper Escapes Again

Jane Vee

by on May. 31, 2013 at 6:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
girl_incognito
by on May. 31, 2013 at 7:21 PM
1 mom liked this

Alarms... alarms were my savior... They are loud, he hated the sound, he knew if they went off I would come running. Locks are okay... but when you have one that knows how to unlock any lock... it's not enough. We did install the deadbolts that you needed a key for both sides in our home at one point when he was younger. Which meant I always had a set of keys on me :)

I had a harness for my son as well. And he actually loved it. It gave him independence to walk around while giving me the control of where he was.

My son was an expert on eloping... I always had to be one step ahead of him. The past two years I have not had to worry about it. His maturity has kicked in.

SandyLaxner
by Bronze Member on May. 31, 2013 at 8:42 PM
1 mom liked this

My DS is 6yo ASD and still small enough to be in a stroller if needed!  wrist to wrist tetherkey lock doors,that is all that works.  We always have a hand on him.  but to our surprise,he had an outdoor activity at school today and followed along w/o bolting!  What a nice surprise-they have worked hard w/DS at FT kindergarten and it shows!

TheJerseyGirl
by on May. 31, 2013 at 9:06 PM
2 moms liked this
Such good advice here... Luckily for me mine wasn't a runner.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jun. 1, 2013 at 7:28 PM
1 mom liked this

Good advice...thanks for sharing!

mariat2
by on Jun. 1, 2013 at 10:05 PM
Dear lord!! When mine was 1yr old he was a runner....one time a neighbor found him outside her house.From then on I always kept an eye on him.
mariat2
by on Jun. 1, 2013 at 10:07 PM
god u were lucky mines was a motor without breaks!!!

Quoting TheJerseyGirl:

Such good advice here... Luckily for me mine wasn't a runner.

mariat2
by on Jun. 1, 2013 at 10:07 PM
how old is your son now?

Quoting girl_incognito:

Alarms... alarms were my savior... They are loud, he hated the sound, he knew if they went off I would come running. Locks are okay... but when you have one that knows how to unlock any lock... it's not enough. We did install the deadbolts that you needed a key for both sides in our home at one point when he was younger. Which meant I always had a set of keys on me :)

I had a harness for my son as well. And he actually loved it. It gave him independence to walk around while giving me the control of where he was.

My son was an expert on eloping... I always had to be one step ahead of him. The past two years I have not had to worry about it. His maturity has kicked in.

JTMOM422
by Platinum Member on Jun. 1, 2013 at 10:16 PM
1 mom liked this

I lock my sons bedroom door at night. I have alarms on every door leading outside. I have chains on the doors. His bedroom window and his sister's have locks that they can't open. I use a baby monitor so I can hear everything upstairs at night and during the day. he is only allowed to play in the backyard that has a privacy fence but still only with an adult outside. My son is a runner and will take off if given a chance. 

emarin77
by Gold Member on Jun. 1, 2013 at 10:33 PM
1 mom liked this

For younger children I would keep locks high up on the door.  When my son was younger, age 3-4 he  wanted to run out of the door during the afternoon hours.  He now runs to his bedroom when he is mad or sad.  He learned to do this on his own.  In his kindergarten class he will have a special place in his room to go to when frustrated or sad too.

girl_incognito
by on Jun. 1, 2013 at 11:36 PM
1 mom liked this

We stopped using the door alarm about 2 years ago. He was a night wanderer.

Quoting mariat2:

how old is your son now?

Quoting girl_incognito:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)