Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Bedtime and I feel bad

Posted by on May. 31, 2013 at 11:20 PM
  • 9 Replies
I feel like the worst mom ever! My son will not go to bed I have been laying down with him and he would climb jump play for about an hr hr and a half. His doc told me my son was getting to excited having me in the room with him. So he told me to give my son his juice lovie put on his fab nighty night cartoon then put up a baby gate so my son could still see out the bedroom but not see me. And then walk away and let him cry for 5mins then put him back in bed and repeat until he was asleep.

I put off trying it, it sounded so mean! But I just couldn't take it any more tonight I had to get out of the bedroom he was kicking me and hitting me. So I did what the doc said I gave him juice put on Harold and the purple crayon and put up the gate oh and gave him his lovie. And walked away he cried for 7mins then I went to look in on him and he is asleep.

I feel like a horrible mom! Like I have scared him and hurt him. I feel so sad!
by on May. 31, 2013 at 11:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
neslonturf
by on May. 31, 2013 at 11:24 PM
Oh gosh. I remember doing it with my first. I cried too. It's so hard. Just think that he's sleeping for that hour and a half. It will do him good! You're a good Mommy, you're helping him sleep better.
VioletsMomTown
by on May. 31, 2013 at 11:34 PM

Awwww. Its ok. I know, I think its harder on us than it is them! My daughter tells me she wants to go to bed now, and tries to put the gate up herself. She's 5, she still likes the gate, its like her symbol for sleepy time. Sleep is so important for brain development, this is the best thing you could do for him. Have a good sleep :)

Violet's Mom

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jun. 1, 2013 at 7:26 PM

Hugs mama!

EthansMomma2010
by on Jun. 1, 2013 at 8:52 PM

It was probably easier on him to cry for a few minutes than to be overstimulated for so long each night. My son can't fall asleep with me in the room but he loves me to sing to him. I finally learned that I could sing to him while slowly backing out of the room, then do one final song outside with the door closed. works like a charm. :)

JTMOM422
by Platinum Member on Jun. 1, 2013 at 10:19 PM

I remember those feelings. My hubby allowed the kids to stay in our room in their cribs til the age of 1. then after that they went to their own rooms upstairs. I was so upset. I wanted to keep them near me. It was the best thing though. They learned to fall asleep on their own and I wasn't constantly waking up to look at them lol

TheJerseyGirl
by on Jun. 2, 2013 at 5:51 AM

You arent a bad mom! YOu felt worse than he did I'm sure!

lucasmadre
by Kari on Jun. 2, 2013 at 8:41 AM

I know, my son is 9 and I still remember the process but there really is no other way unless you want him to be in charge of bedtime for the rest of your lives together. He will not be scarred, I promise. My son is a wonderful sleeper, goes to bed and sleep easily and it doesn't take long until they understand that they can sooth themselves to sleep. Hang in there, it is for the best, he needs a good nights sleep and so do you! XO

lucasmadre
by Kari on Jun. 3, 2013 at 7:53 AM

Hope things are going ok with your new bedtime routine. I know it is hard. Try and stick to it and keep it the same every night...hope you are over the hump and things are going well.  XO

Mommyandliam
by on Jun. 3, 2013 at 11:22 AM
He did AMAZING!!! 7 mins?! That's awesome! My daughter cried for an 2 and a half hours!!! It was exhausting in every way :'( he did well. You did a good thing for him. Helping him learn to cope...just awesome.

Quoting Monkeymama930:

I feel like the worst mom ever! My son will not go to bed I have been laying down with him and he would climb jump play for about an hr hr and a half. His doc told me my son was getting to excited having me in the room with him. So he told me to give my son his juice lovie put on his fab nighty night cartoon then put up a baby gate so my son could still see out the bedroom but not see me. And then walk away and let him cry for 5mins then put him back in bed and repeat until he was asleep.

I put off trying it, it sounded so mean! But I just couldn't take it any more tonight I had to get out of the bedroom he was kicking me and hitting me. So I did what the doc said I gave him juice put on Harold and the purple crayon and put up the gate oh and gave him his lovie. And walked away he cried for 7mins then I went to look in on him and he is asleep.

I feel like a horrible mom! Like I have scared him and hurt him. I feel so sad!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)