Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Acceptance

Posted by on Jun. 2, 2013 at 12:30 AM
  • 12 Replies
2 moms liked this

Hi everyone,my name is Stacia and I have an almost four year old son with PDD.  So  I joined this group so that I may be able to learn from other moms who also have kids on the spectrum.  For me, accepting that he's different is sometimes difficult for me :((    He's high functioning as far as his motor skills go, and he tries to do it all for himself.  But then when it comes down to using the toilet WOWWW!!!  That's a major battle.  He'll sit or stand to do number 1 but he'll never go number 2.

He's also very speech delayed.  So when we go to the playground and the other kids don't understand him they make fun of him.  And also when he tend to run behind the 4 and 5yrs old they tend to shout at him and push him and scream "Stop Following Us".  Because, he cannot use words to say, I will like to play with you guys, so instead he just runs behind them and follow whatever they do. (which I do understand can be a bit annoying to someone).  

But whoever thought that kids can be so mean???   I know it's tough for him having to deal with the fact that Mom and Dad always have a tough time understanding him.  But it's really tough for me as mom to cope with all the challenges of raising a developmental delayed kid.   I love him so much but I  get so tired and sometimes so frustrated.   I'm glad I joined this group so that I may be able to vent and also have support from other moms who may be going through what I am aslo.

by on Jun. 2, 2013 at 12:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JTMOM422
by Brenda on Jun. 2, 2013 at 12:45 AM
1 mom liked this

Welcome to the group. I understand getting frustrated. I have had 3 rough days in a row with my son and I can tell you it takes its toll on me mentally and physically. I love my son very much and it hurts when I watch him watch other kids. I know he wants to play with them and doesn't have the words to express it. I am lucky in the fact his sister is a year and a half older and plays with him all the time. He also has 2 cousins close in age to him. They grew up around him and really don't understand the differences in him. They just consider him someone to play with. My daughter is 4 1/2, my son is 3, my nephew is 3 and my niece is 2 so they only understand playing is fun. I worry about what other kids will say to my son as he gets older but i know that he will always have his sister and cousins to play with. Not to mention 8 other cousins who live within a 10 miles radius LOL. Kids can be cruel but sometimes I don't think they realize they are doing it. I find it more often when it's at a playground where other parents aren't watching their children. What kind of therapies do you have him in? This is a great group. The ladies here have helped me so much since my son was dx about a year ago.

VioletsMomTown
by Robyn on Jun. 2, 2013 at 12:49 AM
1 mom liked this

Welcome to the group! I think all of us have been there, its not easy being moms like us. We all have awesome kids though, they make all the hard times worth it! I think it gets easier with time, and with good people to talk to :) 

Violet's Mom

StaciaReyes
by on Jun. 2, 2013 at 1:31 AM

He's on an IEP program and goes 3days per week for 2 I/2hrs.  We have him in private speech and he goes twice per week for 30mins per session. And he also attends KK for behavioral councelling once per week.  He's due to start OT soon.  And he's also due to start intensive treatment  at KK feeding clinic (we are on the waiting list for this, but they'll call us soon).

kajira
by Emma on Jun. 2, 2013 at 3:30 AM
1 mom liked this
Welcome to the group. I don't have a lot of stuff to say right now, because I deal with different issues with my son. My son has words, he just doesn't use them correctly... and as an autistic adult, I end up having his dad who's NT do most of the "social" educating... since I'm not really the one to be teaching that when I'm classically autistic myself and if you know what to look for, you can spot me from a mile away. LOL But either way, welcome to the group.
TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Jun. 2, 2013 at 5:42 AM
1 mom liked this

Welcome Stacia! This group is just amazing...the support is like no other.

You know, he's only 4....the acceptance will come with time, as will his speech, potty issues,  and many other things. Mine is 12 now, and believe me, there are still moments of frustration for both of us!

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jun. 2, 2013 at 6:18 AM
1 mom liked this

Welcome to the group:)

lucasmadre
by Kari on Jun. 2, 2013 at 8:50 AM
1 mom liked this

Welcome, it sounds like you are doing all the right things and being the super mom you need to be to raise a special needs kid. That being said I know how hard it is. To watch things be hard for you child, for him to be rejected by other kids or to have to struggle to understand him yourself. Things will get better as he gets better at communication. 

I have found that I have to let my feelings out, express the sadness, frustration etc. in order to move forward and do my best. The women here are so very supportive and understanding. No one "gets" this unless they have been through it themselves. I am glad you found this forum to share and have a community of women who can help support you.  WELCOME!  XO

johnns
by Johnna on Jun. 2, 2013 at 9:49 AM
1 mom liked this
Welcome Stacia! My BFF of 37 yrs, her name is Stacia. Don't see that often! My name is Johnna, so growing up, it was fun that we both had unusual names!
My daughter us 4, Sally. She is my 3rd child- my surprise baby, had her at 39 when we at least expected it. I have 2 boys NT, 13 & 16.
I too worry about Sally in those situations. She's overbearing, just loves other kids so much! While that is very cute, I figure its an invitation for kids to be mean.
It makes me a nervous wreck!! The hubby handles those type of situations much better than I. I don't put myself in those settings too often because I figure I'm too overbearing! Lol
Sally went to speech therapy, now she is in special ed preschool- LOTS of improvement on language! I am so thankful to finally see some results. Her behavior has come a long way to- slowly but surely.
She does better with kids older or younger. Children her age notice she's different, at most she would come off immature for her age. It wasn't long ago that I had a cousin come visit, she was the same age as Sally, and the differences in the girls seemed HUGE! Granted, the other little girl handled Sally so well, I fell in love with her, and she was mature way beyond the average four yr old.
Like I said, I don't like those types of settings with her, I try to avoid it. Everyone has they're limits.
Basherte
by Silver Member on Jun. 3, 2013 at 9:38 AM
1 mom liked this

Welcome to the group.

This group is wonderful. Full of the best women around!

I joined this group thinking, maybe? Then found out very soon, that this group of women are very loving, very strong, and extremely supportive.

I love this group. Don't know where I'd be without these ladies.

CafeMom Tickers
TJmom221
by Kelly on Jun. 3, 2013 at 11:07 PM

Just hang in there.  There is so much support and understanding in this group and also alot of great advice and direction.hugs

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)