Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Hi everyone,my name is Stacia and I have an almost four year old son with PDD.  So  I joined this group so that I may be able to learn from other moms who also have kids on the spectrum.  For me, accepting that he's different is sometimes difficult for me :((    He's high functioning as far as his motor skills go, and he tries to do it all for himself.  But then when it comes down to using the toilet WOWWW!!!  That's a major battle.  He'll sit or stand to do number 1 but he'll never go number 2.

He's also very speech delayed.  So when we go to the playground and the other kids don't understand him they make fun of him.  And also when he tend to run behind the 4 and 5yrs old they tend to shout at him and push him and scream "Stop Following Us".  Because, he cannot use words to say, I will like to play with you guys, so instead he just runs behind them and follow whatever they do. (which I do understand can be a bit annoying to someone).  

But whoever thought that kids can be so mean???   I know it's tough for him having to deal with the fact that Mom and Dad always have a tough time understanding him.  But it's really tough for me as mom to cope with all the challenges of raising a developmental delayed kid.   I love him so much but I  get so tired and sometimes so frustrated.   I'm glad I joined this group so that I may be able to vent and also have support from other moms who may be going through what I am aslo.

by on Jun. 2, 2013 at 12:30 AM
Replies (11-12):
jeannieb927
by on Jun. 4, 2013 at 10:35 AM
1 mom liked this

Hi Stacie  My daughter is six years old.  I too went through problems of toilet training and my child socializing with kids.  It is rough at times  Hang in there My child was finally diagnosised  with  ASD and ADHD  during  Kindergarten school year.  prior to that  She was diagnosied with speech delay at 2 years old  Saw two other pscyologist felt she did not fit  the ASD citeria  but her peditrician and speech therapist and therapist at local mental health clinic did.   Kaitlynn  with toilet training got urinating  part  in Toilet at  age 3 but then sounds  of toilet  started causing problems for her that she did not want to go to the bathroom.   So I put kids potty in her  room still.  Still  took her to be fully day trained  at age 5.   Kaitlynn can be with small groups of children..  Big groups a lots of problems.  She is sensory overloaded which results in meltdowns.  PreK and Kindergarten  rollercoaster ride.  Kaitlynn has IEP plan and inclusive teacher at school.  Kaitlynn reads at 3rd grade level but she is behind in math and writing skills.  Sorry for misspelled words.     Jean Kaitlynn's mom

StaciaReyes
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 7:19 AM
@Jeannieb927. Thank you so much for sharing with me :)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)