Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

If one more person tells me....

Posted by on Jun. 5, 2013 at 5:42 PM
  • 27 Replies
1 mom liked this

he is normal-----I might bite their head off. It's not their fault but sometimes I wish people that are ignorant to what what aspergers even is would just not say anything.

I know this has been said many times....but today is the first time that I just want to scream over. Today my son's therapist told us that she feels it's time to get a solid dignoses. Based on the fact that I don't want a diagnoses to be an excuse for bad behavior and that the treatment would be the same with or with out a diagnoses this worked great....in the past. However it seems the older he gets (turned 9 Saturday) the harder situations are becoming. His therapist feels that with a diagnoses we will be able to "nail" down a more detailed long term treatment plan. As she said it could make the differnanace between a kid that starts getting in trouble with the law and spends life in prison vs. a productive adult that gives to society and has  good job...he just might not have a lot of friends. How exciting....

We have never told him about this as well. We told him that he is going to a therapist because sometimes it helps to talk to a person thats not around much to help us make better decisions. At this point we would have to have the "talk". 

I feel like I did the first time I knew that he has aspergers. All the emotions are fresh and new again....Just a crapy day. So if you don't want me to go aspie on you...please don't tell me he looks "normal to me'....or at least wait till next week when I can just smile and know your ignorance is not meant to hurt. 

by on Jun. 5, 2013 at 5:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jenn8604
by on Jun. 5, 2013 at 5:48 PM
16 moms liked this

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jenn8604
by on Jun. 5, 2013 at 5:50 PM
I agree a SOLID dx would help. HUGS!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Jun. 5, 2013 at 6:47 PM
1 mom liked this
Love this! Lol

Quoting Jenn8604:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Jun. 5, 2013 at 6:48 PM
We still hear it from my FIL
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Macphee
by Silver Member on Jun. 5, 2013 at 9:05 PM
Hugs.
I hate the word normal. I have flipped so many times. My family know to say neuro typical or developed on time:-)
Charizma77
by Carissa on Jun. 5, 2013 at 10:07 PM
1 mom liked this

Good one!

Quoting Jenn8604:

JTMOM422
by Brenda on Jun. 5, 2013 at 10:33 PM

Sorry about the rough day momma. I know what you mean about ignorance. Today I was talking to a lady at the donut shop and she said she didn't know my son was autistic because he could talk. She said she thought all kids that have autism didn't know how to speak and that is why they are autistic. I just stood there kind of wanting to slap her and educate her at the same time. I went the educate route. She thanked me and said that she is interested in learning more because she heard the numbers were high so she was going to do some research online. 

CherylAnne9
by on Jun. 5, 2013 at 11:28 PM

Great job!! That is the route I normally take....just was harder today. The day is getting better. Husband agreed to a dx so that is one less battle. lol On to a new day soon!!  Thanks ladies! 

Quoting JTMOM422:

Sorry about the rough day momma. I know what you mean about ignorance. Today I was talking to a lady at the donut shop and she said she didn't know my son was autistic because he could talk. She said she thought all kids that have autism didn't know how to speak and that is why they are autistic. I just stood there kind of wanting to slap her and educate her at the same time. I went the educate route. She thanked me and said that she is interested in learning more because she heard the numbers were high so she was going to do some research online. 

SAMI_JO
by on Jun. 5, 2013 at 11:32 PM
1 mom liked this

I personally think you should have already told him. And yes you need a firm diagnosis. It will help you to get services.

CherylAnne9
by on Jun. 5, 2013 at 11:38 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting SAMI_JO:

I personally think you should have already told him. And yes you need a firm diagnosis. It will help you to get services.

You may be right. We had been talking about it for a few months now. However when he started therapy about a year ago his therapist agreed it was fine and so we didn't. I know it's not the same thing...but my sister is deslictic and is not her reason not to be a productive person to society. lol 

I think it will happen in the next few days. Thanks

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN