Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Name a place you will NOT take your child?

Posted by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 11:23 AM
Amy
  • 36 Replies

Mine pretty much is good to go just about anywhere I go.  I prefer not to take him with me when I get my hair done though.

Where is some place you refuse to take your child?

by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 11:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kinshipcaremama
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 11:44 AM
My son has a hard time anywhere that is crowded or chaotic. He refuses to go to church because he takes things so literally. (The phrase "blood of the lamb" for example, freaks him out) I'd NEVER take him to Disneyland. or anything like that simply because he would hate it. He skips most family functions because our family is loud and opinionated and most of the time he has no place to go to get away from it all.
elkmomma
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 11:51 AM

Haven't found one yet.  But been to places I wish I hadn't; the grocery store, Toys R Us to buy a b-day present for another child, Iron Maiden (needed a new bra), and so many more.  I will not stop taking him anywhere, how else will he or other people learn?

Momof4AEMW
by Platinum Member on Jun. 9, 2013 at 11:59 AM
1 mom liked this

We are very similar to this as written below.  My son does best when taken to a park or outdoor functions where he can run around, there is less structure, sprinkle sand or grass, etc.  He can even overwhelm just going to grandparents for a holiday function where his 1-2 cousins and their 2 parents are there.  That is like too much extra. Restaurants are terrible, especially when you have to wait long for food.  Church is hard for us too, even school.

We are trying to do some exposure therapy with him over the summer and get him out into the world a little at a time.  But we do a lot of turning around and coming home or removing him from the event.  It is hard to actually just 'be' out anywhere as a family because someone (me) is always having to take him out and then the 6 of us are not together. 

I have people act like I'm ashamed of my kids disabilities as we don't bring them lots of places.  Clearly those people don't know our life.  I could care less about the diagnosis, I am their biggest advocate, and support them 100%.  But people don't understand that it is stressful and exhausting to go to all the effort for it not to turn out well, and I'm not sure the fear and anxiety it creates for my son is good for him.  So we pick our battles.  If a grandparent could choose to have their birthday as a cook out in the back yard where the 5 under 5 grandkids could just run around and play OR go to the busy fuffy restaurant with rules, expectations, bright lights and loud noises then they will probably be down a grandkid or two.  And no matter how much they lecture me on it, it is just not going to happen.  You want all your grandkids there, make it a place they are welcome and comfortable. Hello!

Quoting kinshipcaremama:

My son has a hard time anywhere that is crowded or chaotic. He refuses to go to church because he takes things so literally. (The phrase "blood of the lamb" for example, freaks him out) I'd NEVER take him to Disneyland. or anything like that simply because he would hate it. He skips most family functions because our family is loud and opinionated and most of the time he has no place to go to get away from it all.

johnns
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 2:29 PM
The MALL! We've given her so many chances- unless they have a play group area, then it has to be her daddy watching her- makes me nervous! She's a 'runner', too big for stroller and won't stay by us. Sometimes if a place doesn't work, ill give it some time & try it again. Maybe some day the MALL- she matures more everyday, you never know! Heck just yesterday, I took her to a bake sale we were working- a store front, right in front of parking lot, she did great!! Stayed 40 min- couldn't believe it!! Big girl!! Yay
Chirinos
by Member on Jun. 9, 2013 at 2:54 PM
My kids go where I go unless I have a Dr apt then I find a sitter for them. There is 1 place I will never let my kids go and that is my ex husbands home country of Honduras. When they can make their own choices as an adult is when I will possibly allow them to go.
Dora-rulz
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 3:16 PM
We took a family vacation to Didney & had to leave dd w/ her aunt. She does pretty good w/ most public places unless they are really noisy. The older she gets the more she can handle. Made the mistake of taking the kids to the circus last yr. Big oops!
JennaPBug
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 3:26 PM

the store,unless my husbands with me. He's gotten slightly better, but if at all avoidable I will not take him. He's 2 and screams bloody murder if you even act like you're going to put him in the cart.

Momof5Boys610
by Ann on Jun. 9, 2013 at 4:09 PM
To a toy store. With 5 kids, that is one place we NEVER take our kids. That would just be....not good.
lasombrs
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 4:54 PM

we can not go to any sit down places to eat. running errands where more then 1 or 2 stops is involved is near impossible. the mall for any reason is to much for him to handle. church is also a no go. to loud to many people etc

lady_katie
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 5:09 PM

I think that pretty much the only place that I WILL regularly take my child is to the park. We've just been able to *start* going on small trips to the stores too, as long as it's limited to about 10 minutes and the cart is in constant motion. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)