Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Sight words... do they catch up???

Posted by on Jun. 11, 2013 at 12:47 AM
  • 12 Replies

Feeling like 'mom of the year' tonight (sarcasm)...

my dh is out of town this week so I took over doing his sight words with my ds.  His teacher rates him well below where he should be for sight words which surprised me since my dh says he does great and knows them all.  DS reads pretty well but his teacher says that is mostly due to his drawing clues from the pictures.  Imagine my surprise when my ds barely new 10 sight words out of about 75!  I have always handled everything to do with his doctors, therapies, math, reading... the only thing I left for dh was SIGHT WORDS!  GRRRR - I am so pissed right now!  It's the end of Kindergarten and he does not even know 1/3 of his sight words.

am I over-reacting?  He has only begun therapy barely 3 months ago.  He is 6, is there an age where they start to catch up?

thanks for letting me vent, I am just so pissed that something we are doing (or NOT doing) could be impacting his learning.  

by on Jun. 11, 2013 at 12:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
girl_incognito
by on Jun. 11, 2013 at 5:48 AM
1 mom liked this

I am one of many moms who don't particularly like the fact that they teach our kids to read with sight words and not phonics. 

I suggest trying to teach your child to read with phonics if he is struggling with sight words, sometimes that makes more sense. My daughter has a learning disability (she does not have autism, my son does) and learning by sight words didn't really agree with her.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jun. 11, 2013 at 6:25 AM

I'm not familiar with this as my son isn't to that point yet...but the comment above makes perfect sense to me.  Hugs and good luck!

Mom2Seb
by Member on Jun. 11, 2013 at 11:21 AM

He definitely prefers to sound out words, and it works for a lot of words but not all.  The "nonsense" words don't work with phonics.  I have no doubt that he is capable of learning these words, I am pissed that my dh does not understand that ds has great memorization which is why he appears to learn the words on the page so quickly... because he memorizes where they are on the page!  I have been trying to tell him that ds has to be taught using random application of the words so he does not rely on memorizing one page.

It goes back to what we all know, our kids are smart, we need to approach teaching them the way they learn, not the way we think they should learn.

mamaboys0207
by on Jun. 16, 2013 at 9:12 PM

Dont know if this will help, but my son is the same way. For some reason he can read book after book, even ones that dont have picture clues. But if you give him a list of sight words, he forgets them. As far as we can tell, if its in sentence form, he knows them but single words he has trouble.

sue_stef
by on Jun. 16, 2013 at 9:31 PM
1 mom liked this

there are many strategies to reading much like there ar emany ways to solve an addition problem and teach a child that 2 + 2 = 4

sight words is one way of testing reading ability however it does not mean they can read and understand what they have read it means they recognize the shapes (letters) that combine to form the other shape(word)

The problem I have with schools is they want kids to fit into the little box and learn the same way not all children can even the "normal" functioning kids will learn reading using different strategies

not knowing sight words is not that big of a deal if he uses the pictures for clues that is what they are for !

just like using the words around a word you do not know to get the meaning (deriving meaning from the context)

Bluerose1482
by on Jun. 16, 2013 at 9:55 PM

Generally 'sight words' are words that must be known by sight, either because they are irregular and do not follow phonics rules or because the rule that they follow is one that they will learn later. 

Quoting girl_incognito:

I am one of many moms who don't particularly like the fact that they teach our kids to read with sight words and not phonics. 

I suggest trying to teach your child to read with phonics if he is struggling with sight words, sometimes that makes more sense. My daughter has a learning disability (she does not have autism, my son does) and learning by sight words didn't really agree with her.

Bluerose1482
by on Jun. 16, 2013 at 10:13 PM

My son has asperger's and has struggled with reading all his life.  In fact, our single greatest issue is my son's trouble with reading and writing.  Drilling sight words was one thing that helped my son go from 'non-reading' to emerging reading. 

I made flashcards with all his sight words.  I started with 5 words that he knew, one that he didn't know and one that he sort of knew.  I bought a pack of small stickers.  Each time he got the word right, I let him put a sticker on the back.  Each time he got the word wrong I peeled a sticker off of the back.  When he got 20 stickers on the back of the word, we put the card in the 'once per day stack'. 

As one card was retired I added a knew one to the stack.  If he missed a word,  I didn't put it to the end of the stack.  I put it one or two places back so he would see it again quickly. 

lucasmadre
by Kari on Jun. 16, 2013 at 10:57 PM

Every child is different. I understand your frustration with your husband but don't dispair. You can catch up over the summer working with him on his sight words and making it fun. There is lots of time for him to catch up...I am sorry your husband isn't carrying his weight or at least keeping you informed that your son is having such a hard time. Try and remember to keep learning fun. Good luck and sorry for the frustration...I feel your pain :)  XO

joel2010
by on Jun. 16, 2013 at 11:12 PM

I so understand what you are saying about the dh for mine is the same way.  he is starting to learn after a few appiontments him sitting in that or son memoires everything.  even with a puzzle that you can move thinigs on him on he gets mad until he has it work back out but move it again and he can not do it until work on again..  my son is younger so we do not do the sight words we use our for pictures rite now to get him to pick out things and we are having a problem also... other them a handful of things he cannot do it .  but i would say just keep working on it andmaye you all do it together some also

Quoting Mom2Seb:

Feeling like 'mom of the year' tonight (sarcasm)...

my dh is out of town this week so I took over doing his sight words with my ds.  His teacher rates him well below where he should be for sight words which surprised me since my dh says he does great and knows them all.  DS reads pretty well but his teacher says that is mostly due to his drawing clues from the pictures.  Imagine my surprise when my ds barely new 10 sight words out of about 75!  I have always handled everything to do with his doctors, therapies, math, reading... the only thing I left for dh was SIGHT WORDS!  GRRRR - I am so pissed right now!  It's the end of Kindergarten and he does not even know 1/3 of his sight words.

am I over-reacting?  He has only begun therapy barely 3 months ago.  He is 6, is there an age where they start to catch up?

thanks for letting me vent, I am just so pissed that something we are doing (or NOT doing) could be impacting his learning.  

Koltie6
by on Jun. 16, 2013 at 11:44 PM
Have you tried videos such as meet the sight words. They also have apps.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)