Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Preparing your autistic child for a new school?

Posted by on Jun. 14, 2013 at 11:28 PM
  • 8 Replies

hi i have two wonderful boys on the spectrum a 6 yr old and 5 yr old we recently moved and now my kids will be attending different schools based on their individual needs. I am very worried and nervous for both of them. Change is never easy for them and i want to know how can i help them understand and perpare them for it?

by on Jun. 14, 2013 at 11:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
N.Carter2001
by Bronze Member on Jun. 15, 2013 at 9:43 AM

Can you take them up a few times to see the school and classroom. And meet the teacher ?  My son jacob is 5 years old. He has autism. I understand how you feel. Jacob been in preschool the past 2 years in a small building next to the school. Same class and teacher. He will have summer school but that still in preschool building. But they already know that he is scared of  being in bigger building and new classroom. And new teacher. Open house he cryed.So when he in summer school they will take him over to meet  kindergarden teacher. And they willlet him play a little in new class.

NatureMomof3
by Member on Jun. 15, 2013 at 9:51 AM
We are also moving from east coast to west coast. We recently flew out to get a house and registered the kids for school. I took lots of pictures with my phone so that we can have visual references. When the class assignments are made, I plan to do the same with the teacher and classroom. We even made a little video that he loves to watch. I did the same for the new house and other things around town. It seems to be helping with all the uncertainty of the move.
SAMI_JO
by Bronze Member on Jun. 15, 2013 at 10:05 AM
Will the prospective schools not let your children and you take a private tour of the schools? Where we live the children have to change schools every 2 years until the 10th grade. Then they stay in the same school for 10,11, & 12th grade. But fortunately we have been granted "private tours and meeting with principal, counselors,and office personel", before the school year begins. This really helps with the change of environment.

VioletsMomTown
by Robyn on Jun. 15, 2013 at 3:50 PM

We went every evening for a week before school started to play in the school yard, to get used to it. We went in and met her teachers, and she was able to scope out inside the school a few days before school started too. In Sept. she would go for just 2 hours a day for the first week, then 3 hours the next week, then 4 hours for about a month, then 5 hours the next month. We worked our way up to being there all day.

Violet's Mom

heathers5500
by Bronze Member on Jun. 15, 2013 at 5:06 PM

I love social stories!!  See if you there is a way you can take pictures of the different places in the school where they will be.  Take them to the school before school actually starts, take them to play at the school playground.  See if they can meet their teachers a few times

TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Jun. 15, 2013 at 6:41 PM

All good suggestions so far. Im assuming that by their ages, one of them will be going to Kindergarten...our school always has a preschool and K orientation...call and ask when that is and take them both!

ginama
by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 7:44 PM

yes i spoke to the school district and even thought the school is closed for summer i can take him to see the campus and meet his teacher. He will have to get used to the change but everyone tells me he will do just fine im just gald that he got to experience preschool to help him pepare for this. The only thing i dnt like is its a shorter day then a autism based programs. He was goin to school from 8:20 to 2:20 but know its from 8:15 to 11:25 but that gives him more time to take it all in thanks for your response and i wish your son the best of luck this school year

Quoting N.Carter2001:

Can you take them up a few times to see the school and classroom. And meet the teacher ?  My son jacob is 5 years old. He has autism. I understand how you feel. Jacob been in preschool the past 2 years in a small building next to the school. Same class and teacher. He will have summer school but that still in preschool building. But they already know that he is scared of  being in bigger building and new classroom. And new teacher. Open house he cryed.So when he in summer school they will take him over to meet  kindergarden teacher. And they willlet him play a little in new class.

lucasmadre
by Kari on Jun. 16, 2013 at 10:46 PM

To help ease my son's anxiety about a new school I did many of the things others have mentioned...had him meet his teacher, get used to the playground and the school itself...look into a few classrooms. Our school has a welcoming comity so that new families can be connected with other families with kids the same age so they will have a familiar face at school...good luck. It is hard but not impossible. Try to stay upbeat and not be too nervous yourself, I believe our kids read our emotions better than they sometimes show. If you seem worried it may add to their concern.  Good luck!  XO

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)